want a new exhaust... i'm clueless... so i need advice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MarkMoore

want a new exhaust... i'm clueless... so i need advice

Post by MarkMoore »

wanna cat-back system, but dont know where to start... could always go for the pacesetter, but i heard a custom exhaust would cost less and perform better... what's gonna be my best bet.... gimme the pro's and con's for each of my options

P.S. oh yea, and approx. price tags :) ... thanks in advance
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I asked about this ajnd got no response..apparently no one would like to see a k8 engine with exhaust system because it would be pointless? even if i was to get a klde o.0
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

alrighty then... let's just pretend this thread (if you could call it that) never happened
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

it all depends on what youll get, what muffler, piping, and of course which shop will install it, call all your local exhaust shops and ask around, id get 2 1/4 exhaust with flowmaster muffler, that way you have nice exhaust when you upgrade engine.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Neil

Post by Neil »

I had Midas do 2 ¼ on my K8 and I noticed a nice gain it smoothed out acceleration really nicely. All I did was showed up with my car the guy didn’t think 2 ¼ would fit but I told him it would, so they put it up on the lift to make sure. Booked an appointment had them order me in a Ravin muffler which was the most expensive part. And a week later I had my exhaust done. The muffler was something like $312 after taxes Canadian. And I think they charged me something like $280 for the bends pipe and installation. It came really close to $600 Canadian when it was done. I could have had it done somewhere cheaper but I had only heard good things about the exhaust guy at our local Midas. Ask around town and see were other people had there exhaust done and see what they say that’s what I did.

Exhaust Sound Clip That’s what my exhaust sounded like in the end, I never got a complaint once.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Damn, that's a nice sounding exaust
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The pacessetter fits and sounds terrible. Your best et is to have a local shop make you one. Make sure to have the largest resonator they can fit installed in the system. 2 1/4" piping should be fine.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

what if i wanna leave my options open for a klze though... i always toy w/ swapping sometime in the future... so then should i still go w/ 2 1/4" or go w/ a 2 1/2"?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

2 1/4" should be fine for a klze as well.
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Brullen makes an very high quality cat-back exhaust, and I've yet to see a better system for the MX-3. I've had mine for about 4 years, and I'll never want to, nor have the need to ever replace it. I currently have a 2 1/4" setup, with the "quiet" polished muffler with dual 3" tips. You can also opt for the standard (louder) muffler, a black finish (instead of polished) and can choose single or dual tips (3"-5"). You also have the option of hollow, resonated or angle tip. The kit is custom-fitted for the MX-3, so no modification is needed to install. The hangers are in the factory positions which made it so easy to put on. The sound is deep and smooth, but not too loud - anyone who has heard it agrees that it sounds really, really good. Also, it's all 304 stainless steel, unlike the Pacesetter and other systems, and has a lifetime warranty. The price is around $500USD and I think Corkport still sells it. I got mine a little cheaper from a Canandian online store, but the name escapes me right now.

Hope that helps a little. :D
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
rdawg000

Post by rdawg000 »

i have head good things about the brullen exhaust one of the guy that lives in the same city has taht exhaust system!! but if u want something cheaper just go to a midas and have them make one and plus u get a warranty!
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I have a custom "mandrel" bent system with an APEXi muffler, sounds great and works awesome. Its 2 1/4" piping. LOVE the APEXi look and sound though!
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i read the on this site that the MS exhaust system is "a work of art" but expensive at around $500-$600... if i was gonna spend that much on another system anyway, y wouldn't i just go w/ the MS system????
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Not to high jack this post but i am getting a full 2 1/4 exhaust system and i high flow cat installed. I already have a flowmaster 40 series that is going to be put on with it. He is charging me $105 for the cat and $70 for the 2 1/4 pipeing including the bends. My question is is this a fair price for the work?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah I think I have evcen see way way way higher prices (300 and up Locally) The only way I can beat your price is going to a muffler shop that I know of in mexico..may beat your orice or match it..but well as for us prices I think thats a good deal (ask for warranty) :P
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”