My Dyno run

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

My Dyno run

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Hi all,

Well.. since the last drama of waiting 6 weeks to get the car back on the road, I today took it to a rolling road and had a 3-run analysis done.

For information, it's the 1.8L V6 SE (134bhp), according to the dyno run it looks to be about 105bhp at the wheels, and so about 126/127bhp at the flywheel. The car's 10 years old so to only drop 8bhp isn't bad.....? The car is totally stock.

Anyway, take a look at it yourself and please give feedback - it'd be much appreciated!!!

http://php.destr0yer.net/dyno.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

you must have been taking great care of it all these years :2thumbsup:
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

I don't miss the K8 at all after seeing that dyno, ZE is the way to go.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

easy gains would be:

a) air intake (the stock box is very restrictive)
b) exhaust (YMMV on this one though. backpressure is a finneky thing, especially on a K8. I got lucky and my exhaust helped)
c) grounding kit (one of the best ones for the $$)
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: My Dyno run

Post by IanL »

Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE wrote:... it's the 1.8L V6 SE (134bhp), according to the dyno run it looks to be about 105bhp at the wheels, and so about 126/127bhp at the flywheel. The car's 10 years old so to only drop 8bhp isn't bad.....? The car is totally stock.
Dave,

My literature says the K8DE is only 130 bhp, so you haven't lost as much as you thought :D

If you do change the air inlet, it would be great if you did another dyno run - if you think it worth the expense.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! If I do any upgrades i'll definately do another dyno and get a comparison up.

RoundTop: That's exactly what the guy at the tuning place told me, which I agree with. I did have a HKS Super mega flow installed but i later found out how bad they are at filtering dirt! Also the dizzy went the day after I installed it... coincidence?
There's also the question of insurance - I'm not sure how it works over there, but in the UK there's 20 groups, 1 being cheap... my MX-3 is group 16 (189bhp Celica is 15, 215bhp impreza is 17...). modding cars with performance parts can send insurance price up 30-200% !

Ian: have a look at parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs ) - the SE model is 134bhp, but must be quite rare because the documents I have for the car tell the story, and claim that only 150 were made!

thanks again!
Dave
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

With 105hp at the wheels your right on for 130hp+ at the engine.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Team_mazdamx

Post by Team_mazdamx »

very nice, i had always wounder what a stock k8 will do on the dyno!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE wrote: .... have a look at parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs ) - the SE model is 134bhp....
I suspect parkers is wrong on that - I have found other mistakes in their data. The Mazda parts database does not show the SE as having ANY different engine parts, and there would need to be at least one difference. I've specifically checked the camshafts.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”