PLEASE POST, NEED INPUT!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJester187

PLEASE POST, NEED INPUT!!!

Post by DJester187 »

Ok like 3 hrs ago i had to move my car b/c of some on site plowing of snow, everything was fine. now i just jumped in my car and began to drive away and within 2 min of driving (covering only 300 ft or so cuz of stop signs) i hear a terribly wicked grinding from under my engine and i can no longer drive. The wheels still spin when i push the car, and they turn when i turn the wheel, i can get in and out of gear, but once i release the clutch the grinding starts up and i don't move. anyone have a clue as to what this might be? and if so how much to fix it!
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
newflow

Post by newflow »

If you leave a gear engage, let say first. Does the car stays on and wont move or it turns off?

If the car stays on then it has to be with the clutch set.
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

the car stays running, only as i said cant go forward or backward. i just hear a rapid and continuous grinding/clicking sound from under the engine untill i put it in neutral by either press the clutch back in, or just placing it in neutral.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Sounds like syncros..
maybe time to replace the tranny.
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

OUCH, hoping it wasn't that... but if anyone would know it would be you Barry, lol. Well I might as well start looking for one then. Maybe I can get one of those bolt on LSD trannys! I mean if i'm going to have to do that kinda work... if anyone else has an idea of what it could be, or to further confirm Barry's diagnosis please post.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Have you tried all the gears, not just 1st?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey..dont give up that quickly...a tranny starts to fail little by little...well from what ive seen on my part. CAnt just really break for no reason..you say you were stopping and going..I think you may have lost your clutch fluid, also could be a bad slave cylinder and well a bad clutch disk or pressure plate. IF it grinds when you have the clutch released (not pressed) its highly possible your disk and pressure plate are gone. When its sincros it grinds ugly but it pops the gears and not all syncros die at the same time, Usually u can start by going into second..geting it to the right tooth and back to 1st. Did I confuse any of you? because I just confused myseld ..anywho check fluids and open the tranny..i got a feeling its the clutch,...or well it wouldnt hurt to check the shift linkage. (excuse my typos in advance)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Grants wrote:Have you tried all the gears, not just 1st?
I'd hope. You should be doing 2nd gear starts in deep snow anyways to cut the torque and prevent wheel spin.
andy

Post by andy »

I was thinking it sounded like one of your CV joints might be
hosed. Can't hurt to take a look.

Andy P. 93 GS
newflow

Post by newflow »

For you are saying your tranny is not the problem. I still think it has to do with your clutch unit. You may be looking at $100 to $300 to fix.

If you want to change your tranny while you are at it add an extra $350-$500 and check this site: http://www.carpart.com
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I would definately check the fluid first, but it sounds like just the clutch to me. Like someone said before, trannys just don't go out all of a sudden. I had a similar problem with my Subaru, and it turned out that one of the clutch plates broke off completely and the clutch was grinding into the flywheel.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

if i were to put an LSD tranny on my car, what year and car model tranny should it be? i mean so it would be a bolt on, with as little mods as possible.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

it sounds like your slave cylinder or clutch line gave out and isn't disengageing the clutch.

when you shift, you are ruining your transmissions synchros every time you hear that grinding sound.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh ansd well..even if you do change tranny...you still have to take the thing appart and there you will see if the clutch is bad..so i guess have someone help you by checkijng to see if the slave cylinder is opening and fluid level.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

As the grinding stops when he presses the clutch pedal, then the clutch is disengaging, so he is right to suspect the gearbox. If it's all gears, it sounds like final drive or differential. Alternatively, the clutch may be slipping because the lining has come off the disk.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”