How much is your mx worth?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

How much is your mx worth?

Post by Franko »

So I went into a couple of car lots today and asked them how much they would sell my car for if they had it to sell. It is not like I would EVER sell my car under any condition. I was just curious is all. Anyways all the places asked what year it was and then they were like 5-6 thousand!?!?! In the subaru dealership they said like 4-5, I was like "What?!? Are you retarded? My car is faster than basically any new subaru on your lot!" I mean for gods sakes I have spent about $13,000 on the car in aftermarket parts since I owned it and I just think that it is an insult to say that it is only worth $5000! Those jackasses can go and buy their $30,000 car and come to the track next week and see who is faster.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: How much is your mx worth?

Post by atlantamx3 »

Uhh-- your car is a base model RS. Its 11 years old, almost 12. I am sure the body has over 100K miles on it.

I would say that its worth even less than $5000.

More like $1500 - $2500 depending on condition. You would be lucky to sell yours for $3500 since you have the BP-T.

You dont really think that cars keep their value, do you? :confused2:

Aftermarket mods mean NOTHING to dealers and car salesmen. They add NO REAL VALUE to your car besides personal value. If you ever plan on selling your car-- you will get more if you sell it to a person instead of a dealer.

Do you see why putting so much money into a car is such a bad idea? You will never get out of it what you put into it (Monetarily).

Edit: BTW-- these figures are in US Dollars.

<small>[ September 03, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: atlantamx3 ]</small>
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

Around here it seems like the more aftermarket parts that go on the car, the less they will give you for it. I guess they figure people would rather buy an oem car than one already done up, i know i would prefer an oem to begin with.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

Only example I can think of as far as value with dealerships is. I always see civics with nice paint jobs and body kits with rims for sale in the auto trader here in my town for $5000-$6000 (Canadian) Some have aftermarket upgrades some don’t, Than when ill be at a dealership they'll have a same year civic or older year but stock for $9000-$10,000. I used civics as an example because they're the only thing I ever see for sale with aftermarket parts here.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

either way, to me my car is as follows..... car > all :D
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

either way, to me my car is as follows..... car > all
ditto

If a dealership offered me 20 grand for my car i dont think i would be able to sell it, its priceless to me :love:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

There is this del sol here that has some stuff done to it. It is a 93 and the price on it is 23,000. Just because a car is old dosent mean it isnt worth as much.. I hate dealerships, always trying to screw you.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Originally posted by JWMX3:
ditto

If a dealership offered me 20 grand for my car i dont think i would be able to sell it, its priceless to me :love:
Yes! Agreed!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by JWMX3:
ditto

If a dealership offered me 20 grand for my car i dont think i would be able to sell it, its priceless to me :confused2:

I love my MX-3 and all-- but if someone said" Here is $20K, give me your MX-3" -- I would say OKAY! You could easily replicate your car and then put some money in the bank.

Come on people-- use some common sense. :freak:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

i have no common sense
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

lol ya if someone gave me 20K id take it and go buy another mx3 for a couple thousand and use the rest for doing it up.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

$20'000cdn, no way...i bought my car for $5000, spend about $5000 on the stereo, er, entertainment system, after next week close to $7000 total performance (all candian figures), so far, i'm not even close to being done, plus all the blood, sweat and tears, my car is part of my soul.

I put money into my car cause i enjoy driving it, and want to better my driving experience, not to sell it. I know i will never get my money back, cause a car isn't a financial investment. My car has been an experience, a passion, a hobby, a toy, an addiction :D . It's something I can play with and enjoy, but also stand back, look at it and smile and admire what i've put into her. That is what my Mx-3 is for me, it's a part of me.

<small>[ September 03, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

haha.. right on guys :D
well i've spent around $6500 (usd) on the car, which cost me $2000 to buy originally. that puts it at $8500 and it still looks basically stock (sans taillights). i realize all the work and ca$h i put into it will never be seen again, so like you guys, i'm not planning to ever sell it... unless of course aliens come down to earth and want to buy it to study it's advanced technology and what not.. but yea even then i wouldnt take less than $20g's :freak:
92 Autozam AZ3
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

well they might not worth much but to me my gs se worth a lot and I wouldnt trade for civic SI or something else, i know i can build it faster than most cars on market for less money. I see GS's for around $5k around here all time with somewhat high mileage
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Atlanta says we have no common sense if someone offered us 20 grand for our cars and not take it. Its the same as if someone came to you and said that they would give you 20 grand for your girlfriend. You wouldent want to part with her. To me, that is the same thing as the car. Some people are more connected to the stuff that they own, I would say that there is alot of people on here that talk to their cars and almost consider it a living thing sometimes.. then there are others that see it as a soul-less heap of steel that gets them from point A to point B. I think that me, JWMX3 and Nd4SpdSe all feel the same way about our cars.
As Nd4SpdSe said it, he puts money into it because he enjoys driving it. It is not supposed to be an investment, that is what stocks are for. Plus somehow I dont think that drugs and drinking are a good investment either, but you put the money in your car and it is like a high that you never come off of. :D

<small>[ September 03, 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Franko ]</small>

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”