Raced a Talon TS-I

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
tcsnipe

Raced a Talon TS-I

Post by tcsnipe »

I went to the track today and I raced a Talon
TS-I. I got about a car length at the start,got a good launch. Through first gear he was at my back tire. Through second I had about a half car length on him. In third we were even. In fourth He had me by about a fourth of a car, my front was even with his front tires. My car is stock and its standard, his car is stock and automatic. There was something wrong with the times and everything though cause of a power outage so I dont know what my time was but that was my best race ever, perfect start and perfect shifting. So I figure if I put a few bolt ons I can take him.
Hy300

Re: Raced a Talon TS-I

Post by Hy300 »

He was probably the FWD talon and not the AWD, not all are made equal you know. If he was the AWD and you beat him on beat him on the launch I'd think he was having some problems.<p>I'm no DSM pro, but I think the auto tranny on those makes like a full second difference in the 1/4 versus the MTX. It's also important to find out how many miles the car may have had. Young kids will notoriously beat the heck out of those cars and not properly care for them.
tcsnipe

Post by tcsnipe »

Yea it is a fwd not awd. Im not sure on the milage I know its a 97.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

What were your times and trap speeds?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I have some friends around here that are DSM nuts! The Talon TSI is turbo, either FWD or AWD he would have SMOKED you by several cars in the quarter. The 1st Gen 4G63 Turbo motor puts out 195HP with 203ft/lb torque. The 2nd Gen 4G63 Turbo motor puts out 210HP with 215ft/lb of torque. Granted they weigh in around 3000lbs, it it still capable of turning the 1/4 mile some where in the 14sec range.<p>Either he was just screwing with you, or he car was FREAKED up!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

P.S.<p>That is running STOCK boost pressure.<p>My friend had a 1st Gen 4G63 turbo, stupidly running 20PSI on the stock turbo & intercooler he was able to turn the 1/4mile in the 12's!!!!! Then after not listening to us it detonated on day and burned a hole through the piston in cyl #1.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

my friend 's all stock awd 91 tsi runs a 13.2 all day long with the stereo and all the seats in it . too bad about those crap 5 speeds
13.023 @ 105 mph
tcsnipe

Post by tcsnipe »

No he was really racing but to tell you the truth, he sucks at it. He cant launch for anything. Thats how I kept up so good.
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

we have a TS-i that runs low 12s and pushes around 290 horses. Not exactly sure what it runs but my brothers 300zx Smoked it.
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ty:
we have a TS-i that runs low 12s and pushes around 290 horses. Not exactly sure what it runs but my brothers 300zx Smoked it.<hr></blockquote><p>Low 12?<p>Darn, there is some mods to that one.. and 290hp, it can't be possible, because of the weight.<p>We strip one TSI 91, no speed limit, as the 90 or 92 models, make 20psi with a 14B, we drop the clutch at start, and rune 12.86. But we had to take the whole interior out, even the inside of the door, left in place the driver seat, on stock mags, with radial. We bored some parts of the turbo for a better flow.. run on stock injectors, stock pump. a 50bucks clutch (Might be why we didn't run better) from Canadian Tire. We were trying to test the solidity of that clutch.. it began to slip after a year of drags..<p>We had estimate our hp to 400hp at the crank.. 330hp to the wheel. ~17% loss.. The tranny blowed after a year, with the clutch.. and the axels pop out one time..<p>the 1g TSI can be monster, when properly tuned.. with a good driver.. Mainly, it is the attitude of the driver that will choose the winner either way.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

it couldnt have been a turbo. most tsi's could give us a couple car lengths and still catch up and win. very quick cars. one of the reasons i bought one to race with, that and the AWD drive factor on a dirt track.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I have a 90 GSX...16g turbo, fmic, exhaust, s-afc, fcd, boost controller, etc...prob runs 12's...i'll find out soon :D <p>I also have a Mx-3 GS, and there is no way it'd keep up with a turbo Talon in the 1/4...unless something was seriously wrong with the way he was driving.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”