new spark plugs

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

new spark plugs

Post by mitmaks »

new spark plugs anyone tried these yet
http://www.briskusa.com/
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tempus

Re: new spark plugs

Post by Tempus »

OK their video's and info looks impressive.. but where the heck to get them. They only list two US distributers

one place has em for 89$.. not sure if that's each, or for a set.. and they seem very mustang/cobra focussed, so who knows if they stock to fit our motors.

I can't find them at all on the site at the other place..

I'm not even sure we could easily get one to fit our cars here in North America..

maybe one of our overseas folks might have better luck..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i would like to try a set
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

guy with Cobra said it improved his performance and feels better accelerating, smoother, seen them even on ebay.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

waste of money. a spark plug is a spark plug, you wont get any performance gain from different plugs.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by fry_81:
waste of money. a spark plug is a spark plug, you wont get any performance gain from different plugs.
thats not really smart post, spark plugs do make difference, v8's like champions/domestic brands, and iridium spark plugs work good on imports.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i go by what my mechanic tells me, and it makes sense to me, the coil and the distributer will only send a certain amount of current to the plugs, just because you put different plugs in, you get the same amount of current into the engine. the difference in materials only extend life of the plugs.
dont shoot the messenger.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I can see MAYBE some kind of larger gain when we are talking about high compression ratios and/or high PSI forced induction where there is enough compression to resist the spark. But on our engines? I can't see more than 1 - 2 HP from the worst plug to the best.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

hey fry go slap some of them 4 prong plugs in your car then go back to NGKs and you tell me plugs dont make a diff :p
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

They're designed for use with MSD or other performance ignition which make way more spark energy than stock systems so with MSD or any other ignition modification they will increase power I think.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Originally posted by fry_81:
i go by what my mechanic tells me, and it makes sense to me, the coil and the distributer will only send a certain amount of current to the plugs, just because you put different plugs in, you get the same amount of current into the engine. the difference in materials only extend life of the plugs.
dont shoot the messenger.
True to an extent.. However electrical arcing is a pretty weird thing.. like lightning on a small scale. One thing that happens is that in some cases a spark can go farther 'gliding' along an insulator surface than through a pure air gap. That's one of the things the design of these plugs is trying to take advantage of. Theory is that it allows them to get a longer spark. Said spark is also not 'shadowed' by the negative electrode, since it's off to the side.. so that affects the flame front's ability to spread smoothly into the combustion chamber.

The theory sounds good to me.. and based on the video's (if we presume it's not acting or staged, which it didn't look like to me) it sure made a hell of a difference in that Cobra..

I'd love to try a set also.. but I'd love to be able to afford to do so on a dyno.. comparing a fresh set of NGK's with these things.. unfortunately the wallet won't support those sort of experiments right now.. heck it won't support having the bumps and scrapes in my bodywork mended and painted..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
seneca

Post by seneca »

It also has to do with smoother running..etc. The guy that had my car before me put cheap champion plugs in. When I gave my car it's first tune-up I put in Top of the line NGK plugs. I found with these the car ran much much smoother, and was a little more responsive. But who knows...Maybe I'm just crazy. :freak:
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”