Shifting question!!

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
kuruption1983

Shifting question!!

Post by kuruption1983 »

ok i have a lil question!!<BR>This is the first time i post in engine forums, so you should know, i know notin about racing and crap!<BR>but i wanna know what are the best times to shift.<BR>i have a stock 94 GS base, and i want to know what is the best RPMs to shift @ different gears, cuz i know if you kinda go over a certain RPM, the power starts to come down. And i know this, that GS precidias, get their magical power @ 4k RPM.<P>sooo i would appreciate any info in this shifting matter, in case i might have to use it somewhere and make MX3 community proud! LOL<BR>( i am getin my other car with bodykit, so no racing for me,)<P>anywhoz, thanx for all replies in advance! :D :D
zevirii

Re: Shifting question!!

Post by zevirii »

Normal driving I shift between 3500rpm and 4000rpm.<P>Racing I shift at 6500rpm. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shadow_Mx-3

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

Like it was said before (read this thread: <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 2&t=000107" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... =000107</A> it's best to shift pass the redline (7700RPM) to get the best times possible with the K8 (V6 engine).<p>[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Shadow_Mx-3 ]
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Peak horsepower is at 6500 and redline can vary above 7400. Its never good to shift once you hit redline. Though since there is only about a one thousand RPM difference and the little K8 can take a beating, even at redline, and come back generally unharmed, then shifting anywhere in between will give good results.
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

1st @ 7000+<BR>2nd @ 6800-7000<BR>3rd @ 6500<BR>4th @ 6500<P><BR>It depends on setup , the more high flow system the higher the peak horsepower<P>the goal is to bring the motor back to peak torque which is approx. 5000<P>thats what works for my setup.
13.023 @ 105 mph
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

Those are some high shifting rpms.... I would be to scared to push that little motor pass 6500rpm :p
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zevirii:<BR><STRONG>Those are some high shifting rpms.... I would be to scared to push that little motor pass 6500rpm :p</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>why? The rod ratio of 2.02 is higher than every other engine ever imported into the USA.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

I know nothing of technical data on the engine such as rod ratios... But how far can it be pushed and not hurt the engine at all?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I was shifting @ 6500 on my GS and not holding out 3rd till trap. My best time was stock 16.8.<P>Afte talkiing with Dave, He suggested maybe 7200 or so, and that I did. I pulled a 16.6 and a 16.5. Seasons over this week, so I may try and get to the track tonight. Try and pull some <16's. I'll try and hit 7500 or so, see if that improves. My GS is 100% stock. Ive gutted the interior, but othe rthan that. Its all stock. I have put a different OEM clutch in there, just cause my clutch was slipping a bit. The clutch is not new. I didnt feel I needced a new one, since Im going to swap the 2.5 soon and will be getting a new one anyways.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zevirii:<BR><STRONG>I know nothing of technical data on the engine such as rod ratios... But how far can it be pushed and not hurt the engine at all?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Basically it means that your motor will rev far past the factory redline without having huge internal stresses. You're safe at ANY rpm in that motor.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

oops didnt mean to post....any moderator can delete this please!!!<p>[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

i found that by only taking my foot like half way off the gas in-between shifts helped get it in and out of gear quicker and gave it a little more "oomf" coming out of the shift. i shift close to the redline ne way but using this technique has tested the rev limiter once or twice.\<BR>anybody else do this or what?<BR>fyi this is on my sohc and definatley not for street driving(just track).
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

Shady, I shift that way all the time. And it sure works for me!
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.

Post by Guest »

I find that when leaving the gas in it makes it harder for the clutch too grip, thats probably just the way i do it though, oh and when im city driving i usually shift at 2.5 and when I feel like giving it which I almost never do I let her red line" :) and those gears just breeze to the next.

Post by Guest »

driving would be best between 3000 and 3500<BR>racing:<P>Launch off at 3500-4500 depending on your setup and tire status..shift into second at about 7200-7500 go to third about 6900 - 7200 and then shift into forth about 6500-6700...I got a stock GS with a fireball muffler and prm cold air intake did 15.9 1/4 mile (90 OCTAINE gas not that it makes a difference i think)

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”