Grinding in the front end!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
DrDemented

Grinding in the front end!

Post by DrDemented »

I know this isn't the spot for it but I can't find a relitive place for this.
I have a grinding problem in my front end. It increases when my speed increases... It seems to be coming from the passenger side. I had the wheelbearings checked and they were good. I am wondering if it might be my drive axle on the passenger side, the u-joint seems to be in good shape and the tranny shifts great! The noise has not gotten any better or worse and I have driven it quite a bit. I take care of all of the repairs to my vehicles and know a good deal about them in general, but this is my first import and I am amazed at the prices for replacment parts and can't afford to just go and start replacing things that don't need it!!
Also do you guys know where I can get affordable parts??
Gro Harlem

Re: Grinding in the front end!

Post by Gro Harlem »

could you be a lil more specific besides "grinding noise"??? Like when does it happen and exactly how does it sound (use comparisons).

My suspicions are the wheel bearing, who checked them?? I'd look again. Also the wheel could be way out of balance or maybe your lugs aren't tightened.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DrDemented

Post by DrDemented »

My Brother-in-law works at a tire shop and checked them he said they were fine...
The grinding noise starts when you start moving and increases in pitch as you speed up and stays constant at high speeds (55-80).It sounds almost like taking a card and putting it on a fan but at a deeper pitch... and there is a light clunking you can feel especialy when you are on the passenger side with you feet on the floorboards. I've put about 1500 miles on it since I bought it and it has always been there it is not decreasing in voulume or increasing. I figured if it was the wheel bearing it would have gone out a while ago!!
DrDemented

Post by DrDemented »

Brakes are great and brand new... they don't heat up or wear unevenly!!!!! I still think it might be the passenger side half shaft, there is a bearing on the end that goes in the tranny and if this was not replaced properly (which it looks like it has been replaced) might make this noise. I'm just trying to pick your brains before I would take it to a shop and them pick my pockets!!!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

lol, nice car in ur sig pic!!

oh wait, its how mine looked a year ago lol.

:2thumbsup:
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DrDemented

Post by DrDemented »

He HE I grabbed that from a pic here in the forums!! It might be yours!!!! it is how mine used to look about 10 years ago! But i bought it very used about 3 months ago and it needs some tlc and a paint job... Still drives nice and performs well for 185,000 miles on it though!!!
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

AHHH, dude!
My car does the same damn thing!
I have a 92 rs. My squeek comes out of the front DRIVERS side however. But it sounds EXACTLY like my problem. I can feel it as well. On the floor, on the pedals, etc etc. But it doesn't happen until its been driven for a couple minutes.
Then it just gets LOUD and really annoying... Doesn't help the noise factor for this car, because these things are noisy to begin with..
:confused:
Someone help us!
I can't figure it out eather
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

my problem was a dented rim..i replaced the rim to the read and the front is fine now. Im receiving another rim this week from a nice guy that i bought it from. Also check the plastic flaps and axles..usually any grinding noise is a cv shaft, could be the joint. LAso check that ur tire isnt rubbing.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”