Oil residue in the turbo???

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Oil residue in the turbo???

Post by cjthor »

Hey guys. Have the MX apart tonite due to some exhaust leaks that I have to get rid of before the dyno run and I noticed that when I took off the intercooler piping that there was some oil inside the turbo. Not alot but just a little. Is this normal? I probably have 500 miles on the turbo.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Re: Oil residue in the turbo???

Post by JWMotorsports »

If your valve cover has a hose going from it to the intake pipe then that is probably where it is coming from. Disconnect it and place a universal filter on the valve cover, or use a hose routed to a filtered catch can. Just make sure the valve cover can still breath, other wise your valve train will start to go down hill. It pulls air in to remove the corrosive fumes that build up in the valve cover. My B6T was doing this. The cams are so close to the vent that it sloshes oil out of it gradually. The oil will build up on the compressor wheel, possibly causing failure a long way down the road. It mostly cakes up on your IC pipes, Intercooler, throttle body, Intake manifold, ect..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

P.S. <p>
check for play on the compressor wheel & shaft. Pulling it shouldn't noticibly move. side to side it may have a VERY small amount of play. If it moves much have Derrick check it out, the oil seals could be leaking. First try what I told you above. Then if the oil builds back up again you may have oil seal problems on the turbo.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

we've already ruled out the above(he has a filter on it). i also told him it's probably the seals.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Well its a rebuilt turbo from JGS tools. I will call Lance today and see what he has to say on the situation. I will keep you all updated. Hopefully its just the seals breaking in. I did change the oil. They put regular oil in and I have been using synthetic since 50k. :(
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Forced Induction”