when metalic head gasket and stronger studs are needed?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
BATTOSAI

when metalic head gasket and stronger studs are needed?

Post by BATTOSAI »

I wonder at which Psi will be neccessary to upgrade the head gaskets and the head studs. I didn´t see nobody doing it on any setup I´ve seen.
European Mx3 GsRT
maldo

Re: when metalic head gasket and stronger studs are needed?

Post by maldo »

I had ARP head studs on my B6T, more so a precaution than neccesity. Stock Mazda/Felpro head gaskets are good to about 18psi on the B series motors.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i am running a o ringed head and block as well as arp head studs and a copper head gasket. i over built this engine for 35psi and 125 shot of nitrous. this year im running 20psi no nitrous just to take it through the heat cycles a couple times before the boost goes up and the nitrous gets thrown in. i would say 20 psi would be a good point to start upgrading to studs and metal headgaskets. stock could probably handle it but wouldnt last.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

It also depends on what size turbo you are using. Keep in mind that a larger turbo is flowing MUCH, MUCH more air (cfm's) than a small turbo. For example. If I were using a t3 capable of flowing enough cfm's to support 300HP at full boost (26-28psi), it's recommended to run no more than 18 psi to stay safe. I'll be running a 400HP T3 turbo which will limit me to about 14psi of boost safely. This turbo dynoed 237WHP @ 12psi of boost on a STOCK 323 and would generate about 300WHP @16psi. If your going for BIG power number, well lets just say it's better to be safe than sorry! ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

I will go for 6-8 Psi, as I have a K8 with stock internals, so that Psi numbers are a bit overkill for what I need. I have a Garret TB355 water cooled bearing section, which I don´t think either it is capable of blowing that Cfm´s. I installed regular Kl injectors, that are rated at 220cc, a Cosmo Racing Fpr, a Vortech FMU ( I wish I have chosen a superfmu or equivalent), exhaust temperature gauge, a/f gauge, Boost/Vacuum gauge, Apexí S/afc, side mounted intercooler ( as the new protege), Beefed oil pump(5mm Shim), relocated oil filter ( as I have the turbo mounted under the nº1 cyl block), custom intake and exhaust piping. Do you know any ignition timing controller available? the apexí S/itc is out of stock, and have no info on other systems. Here in Spain, the pump gas is 98 Octane. do you think I will have any issue of preignition or pinging? Do I forget something to be adressed? my engine has 70.000km and have good compression marks.
European Mx3 GsRT
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

You could always go with the MSD 6-BTM ignition which has a ****pit mountable timing retard nob which allows you to retard the timeing 1-3 degrees per pound of boost with a maximum retard of 15-20 degrees (I think it's 15). MSD also sells just the Boost Timing Master also. You might want to invest in a J&S Safe Gaurd knock controller also.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”