Reman T3 from JGS turbo....look!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Reman T3 from JGS turbo....look!

Post by cjthor »

Allright. After ripping apart my T3 I find out that it is destroyed. The compressor housing and center section is waay over clearanced. I found http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/ and they can use my exhaust housing and get me everything else reman with a .06 trim and a .42ar. Also this new compressor housing will be water cooled. All for about 275. Howz this sound??
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: Reman T3 from JGS turbo....look!

Post by cjthor »

Just called again and he said to make it a t3/04B would be about 400..Whats the diff between t04E and a T04B?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
maldo

Post by maldo »

About 30 year old technology. The T04B was used during the late 70's and 80's, its a decent turbo for good gains but the T04E will spool faster, operate more efficiently and is of a newer design.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by maldo:
About 30 year old technology. The T04B was used during the late 70's and 80's, its a decent turbo for good gains but the T04E will spool faster, operate more efficiently and is of a newer design.<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, but since he has a t3 turbine housing, it will spool at the speed of a t3 (aprox. but very close). $400 is a VERY good price for a water cooled t3/t4 design turbo. Jarid, check a few more things. See how much for a BB turbo which will give you faster spool and longer life, and also see if you can get a to4e compressor. Just for comparison sake. (I may have you hook me up 'once again' and send you my turbo to have them build)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by VizualXTC:
<p>Yes, but since he has a t3 turbine housing, it will spool at the speed of a t3 (aprox. but very close). <hr></blockquote><p>Do you have any data proving that, or are you just making it up?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by David Coleman:
<p>Do you have any data proving that, or are you just making it up?<hr></blockquote><p>No, I have no data but I have LOTS and LOTS of hearsay. I have people that know a LOT more than I do about turbos, engines, tuning, and cars in general that have tole me that on many occasions.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]</p>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Allright. I am sending my exhaust housing off to the guys at jgstools.com and they are going to install a new center section and compressor housing. Should have it back in about a week. Watercooled here we come!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Just to keep you guys posted. Lance at JGStools.com was easy to work with. My turbo is already on its way back to me. It's a 60 trim and a .48 a/r turbine. Should be here monday and I will shoot some pics :) :)
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Well it showed up today. I am happy with the overall experience with these guys. It was pretty inexpensive for what I got accomplished....a reman t3 w/exhaust flange for a tad over 200. Here's a pic with my manifold and turbonetics wastegate.<p>
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I REALLY hope that manifold is 321 Stainless Steel or your gonna have a lot of problems with cracking! Who did the manifold? What materials were used? They are hopely good at calculating & reproducing the correct exhaust sign wave right? If they didn't engineer it on a correctly calculated sign wave then the turbo will have pretty poor response throught the entire power band! Not to mention MUCH lower power output numbers, possibly even shock wave damage on the thrust bearings, turbine shaft, & seals. Wish you the best of luck though!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i thought the manifold looked like a very nice design. as far as i know jgs tool uses weld els which are very strong. anyways congrats on the setup--very nice..
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JWMotorsports:
I REALLY hope that manifold is 321 Stainless Steel or your gonna have a lot of problems with cracking! Who did the manifold? What materials were used? They are hopely good at calculating & reproducing the correct exhaust sign wave right? If they didn't engineer it on a correctly calculated sign wave then the turbo will have pretty poor response throught the entire power band! Not to mention MUCH lower power output numbers, possibly even shock wave damage on the thrust bearings, turbine shaft, & seals. Wish you the best of luck though!<hr></blockquote>
\ Wow sounds dangerous? I got the manifold from Jademx3. I am contemplating getting a different style but for now this will do..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

that looks fine. i wouldnt bother changing it. ive seen log style manifolds produce over 400hp. looking at the runners it looks like the pulses should be correctly spaced. On a street turbo system it is hard to meet every aspect of a "perfect" turbo manifold. alot of factors are involved, strength and durability being the most important. this manifold looks to serve its purpose. :shrug:
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JWMotorsports:
I REALLY hope that manifold is 321 Stainless Steel or your gonna have a lot of problems with cracking! Who did the manifold? What materials were used? They are hopely good at calculating & reproducing the correct exhaust sign wave right? If they didn't engineer it on a correctly calculated sign wave then the turbo will have pretty poor response throught the entire power band! Not to mention MUCH lower power output numbers, possibly even shock wave damage on the thrust bearings, turbine shaft, & seals. Wish you the best of luck though!<hr></blockquote><p>
I take it you are in the manifold business? :) <p>For what I have found, you can practically make a manifold out of toilet paper tubes and bondo and have it work as well as some of the beautiful stainless, equal-length header systems I have seen.
Stainless has NO mechanical advantage over mild steel except corrosion resistance. Period.
As far as equal pulse length, there is nothing sinusoidal about exhaust pulses, so I don't know what you are talking about when you say "correct exhaust sign[sic] wave".
There is much to gain in POWER by having the pulses line-up, but the turbine will not "feel" any damaging pulses unless some of them are going the wrong direction, like backwards.
My system uses the stock logs and two fairly uneven collectors and I have no lag (sometimes I wish I did) and as much power as I like. Keeping the fuel and ignition timing up with the flow of air is the only real problem that I had to solve.

Return to “Forced Induction”