T3 for my b6t? What ya think.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

T3 for my b6t? What ya think.

Post by cjthor »

Hey guys. I am in the position to possibly get a t3. I am doing some nice mods to the engine and such but what do you think the pros and cons are from going to such a large turbo?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
VizualXTC

Re: T3 for my b6t? What ya think.

Post by VizualXTC »

Damn dood, what are we supposed to do? Build your engine for you? How about searching a little bit? Just kidding. Tryin to fit in on this board ya know. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<P>actually a t3 turbo wouldn't be a "large" turbo on that engine. The t3 would be a great choice in my opinion. The pros and cons from my limited knowledge would be....Pro: More Power. Con: Wear out faster.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
maldo

Post by maldo »

I wouldn't say it would "wear" out faster since you can run lower psi for the same power levels you would receive with the stock turbo at 18psi. It will be more efficient. You will reach max boost 500-1000rpm later than the stock turbo but you should still be under 3000rpm. There is nothing wrong with this turbo, it has been proven to allow for 300whp on Miatae (with good engine controls).
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

OK. Just found out its a T3 from a Saab. How do I find out the serial number or the trim specs? Sorry guys....turbo specs just aint my speciality. Oh yea...I have been looking on ebay and some T3's are water cooled and some arent. Should I hold off for a watercooled turbo? This one isnt.<p>[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: cjthor ]
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

it depends. is the b6t set up for water cooled? if not, you'll have to run your own coolant inlet/outlet which can be a pain. if the b6t is set up for it, i'd get one. if not, i wouldn't worry about it unless you feel like being a handyman. a water & oil cooled is what i would choose personally, but mine is already set up for that.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>it depends. is the b6t set up for water cooled? if not, you'll have to run your own coolant inlet/outlet which can be a pain. if the b6t is set up for it, i'd get one. if not, i wouldn't worry about it unless you feel like being a handyman. a water & oil cooled is what i would choose personally, but mine is already set up for that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Yeah the b6 already has the provisions for the water. I have a vj6 that I was gonna use but now I got this t3 that is probably gonna be mine. You saw it too Ashley. Jonathans?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

not sure which one he had on there when i saw it. if you've already bought it, then keep it(or sell it :D ). i still say go for the water cooled. cause if not, then you have to cap the coolant lines for the old turbo.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i would go with the water cooled because the non cooled units run alot hotter and are more prone to coking oil and failure of bearings. the lines are not bad now that i know where to get all the fittings and how to use them. if you dont get the right ones they leak badly!! water cooled tend to be more efficient also. by the way what did jonathan end up getting?
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

What year saab are we talking about though. It may not be any better than a stock turbo depending on which model and year it comes from.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Any T3 is better than any one of the Vj series turbos available on the B6T. The only VJ that would out perform a T3 is on the actual GTR.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Is there any mods that I can make to a T3 to keep it cool if its not water cooled?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

You can wrap it with reflective materials. I believe Summit Racing sells something of that nature. Other than that I dunno.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>You can wrap it with reflective materials. I believe Summit Racing sells something of that nature. Other than that I dunno.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That would keep heat in, not keep it cool.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Is there any mods that I can make to a T3 to keep it cool if its not water cooled? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you could get an oil cooler installed right before the turbo i suppose.should help a little [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

you can probably also route air to it with a tube or something like a ram-air, but thats a stupid and ghetto idea.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “Forced Induction”