Internal vs. external wastegate

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
VizualXTC

Internal vs. external wastegate

Post by VizualXTC »

I just wanted opinions on what people prefer. I'm prolly gunna go with the external wastegate. Are there any opinions on name brands of wastegate? Thanks
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Re: Internal vs. external wastegate

Post by marshmallow15 »

the tial 40mm wastegates are pretty popular.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>the tial 40mm wastegates are pretty popular.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and extremely expensive. I don't need a 500-700HP wastegate anyways. I will go with the 35mm if I got Tial. No offence but just cuz a bunch of peeps in super street have them, it don't make them the best. I do thank you for your input tho.<P>I'm actually looking for a good wastegate that I can possible get for under $200.<p>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

What is your reasoning for wanting an external wastegate? If you are planning on running a fairly large turbo or a high amount of boost it might be a good idea, otherwise getting a turbo with an internal wastegate would be simpler and cheaper.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:<BR><STRONG>What is your reasoning for wanting an external wastegate? If you are planning on running a fairly large turbo or a high amount of boost it might be a good idea, otherwise getting a turbo with an internal wastegate would be simpler and cheaper.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The main reason I want an external is because I like the look more. Since I am planning on making it a show car then I am big into looks in the engine bay as well. BUT it's not 100% certain I'mma get an external.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

if your going for the look then it doesnt matter which one you get. deltagates are fairly cheap and are descent. i went with the tial beacause of their quality and pricing, they arent that expensive. and use alot of stainless steel in their construction.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

Err..yea. If your goign to be using something around the size of a T3 size then paying for an external is a waste IMO. I plan on working my way up to running high 12's pump on the Talon and I'll probably still stick with an internal. If you care about car show stuff then save the money for stainless steel pipes, metallic colored vacuum lines, Greddy indiglo gauges, etc.
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rikymaru:<BR><STRONG>Err..yea. If your goign to be using something around the size of a T3 size then paying for an external is a waste IMO. I plan on working my way up to running high 12's pump on the Talon and I'll probably still stick with an internal. If you care about car show stuff then save the money for stainless steel pipes, metallic colored vacuum lines, Greddy indiglo gauges, etc.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am one of those people that think all show and no go is stupid. It's a waste to have a car that looks fast that can't do 17's in the 1/4 mile becuz of all the sh!t you've put on it. I will be running a t3/t4 with upgraded bottom end.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boostedmx:<BR><STRONG><BR>if your going for the look then it doesnt matter which one you get. deltagates are fairly cheap and are descent. i went with the tial beacause of their quality and pricing, they arent that expensive. and use alot of stainless steel in their construction.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sure it does. You don't wanna go with the Greddy 60MM wastegate with a CT20 turbocharger, and you don't wanna go with the Tial 35mm on a T78 turbo. The tial 40mm is something like $425 and the 35mm is around $295. In my opinion there's no reason to pay the extra $130 for something I don't need. I was looking at Tial, but I just wanted opinions on what people thought about different brands.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I've never heard anything but praise about Tial's, especially the 35mm on KL applications. Deltagates have this history of sticking...not so good.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Looks like the Tial 35mm is the way to go. Thanks everyone
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Tial would be your best bet! I also have a thing for HKS too, but there you would pay a little more for tha name. The only bad thing I've EVER heard about a tial is when my friend put one on his SR20DET that was useing a 480HP T3/T4 is he had an exhaust leak. The only reason it leaked is because he used a wrong gasket. Once again the Tial strikes up a A+++. It's what I'd go with!<BR>Peace Out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”