1.6 turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Minimonster

1.6 turbo

Post by Minimonster »

If some one was to make a turbo kit for the 1.6, What do you all think would be a reasonable price for a full kit?<P>Ric :roll:
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
maldo

Re: 1.6 turbo

Post by maldo »

Hey Ric, <P>I would think that if the kit is comparable in specs and quality to that of an FM kit, price should be comparable also. Something to remember is that the Link can't be used(easily) on the MX-3 ecu so something else would need to be included or that portion of the kit should be left up to the customer. If the price were around the $2000+ depending on the results it would be fine. <P>If it were priced in the low $2000 area, you may be able to sway some guys away from the B6T swap. I know that I have easily surpassed that dollar figure with my B6T swap to achieve around 200whp.<P>BTW, have you been able to reach the 600whp mark yet?
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Based on people that I have talked to the turbo kit that would be most popular with guys with the MX3 1.6DOHC would be an entry level kit similar to what Greddy offers but with an intercooler. Most of these folks are just looking for a slight power increase. I would figure around the $1200-$1600 price range offering 45+hp.<P>People who are interested in high horsepower numbers will be looking at the BPT or B6T swap with the requisite extras and would prefer to do a custom job anyways.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I think if it was around 2500USD, you'd sway quite a few people away from the B6T swap, as it would be more of a bolt on affair; easier for the novice car guy. If you could include an idiot proof fuel enrichment solution, you'll sell a million of them. That's what sells the $5k FM kits for the miata guys: easy to install, easy to tune, idiot proof. <P><BR>Decide to swap in a FE3 yet Ric? Danny's is looking pretty impressive... :)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
maldo

Post by maldo »

I beg to differ. The stock 1.6L can handle the boost, it is basically the same as a miata block - same CR just different manifolds. Looking back on things, I may have grabbed a new dohc block if the opportunity arose. My B6T isn't running the 7.8:1 CR anymore, it is bumped up to the 9.4. The other benefit would be the upsized crank. The B6T does have the better intake manifold. Both motors have the same power potential.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Hey Ric, <P>I would think that if the kit is comparable in specs and quality to that of an FM kit, price should be comparable also. Something to remember is that the Link can't be used(easily) on the MX-3 ecu so something else would need to be included or that portion of the kit should be left up to the customer. If the price were around the $2000+ depending on the results it would be fine. <P>If it were priced in the low $2000 area, you may be able to sway some guys away from the B6T swap. I know that I have easily surpassed that dollar figure with my B6T swap to achieve around 200whp.<P>BTW, have you been able to reach the 600whp mark yet?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If all goes well 600 will be available by the NHRA event Aug 9th & 10th. the head is almost finish and the bottom end still need pistons. I will take a short recess at the 500 mark. I was hoping Danny would have surpass the 400 mark and the 10 sec b4 I make the upcoming leap. He is still very clost to it with a hurt motor.<P>As for the mx3 kit. I would like to see a $2000 kit. I have a 1.6 sohc beater. I have flanges getting ut for a proto kit right now. We will see soon. <BR>Its good to see guys from other mazda boards.<P>Ric
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
maldo

Post by maldo »

Ric,<BR>Are you planning on making the kit for the DOHC version as well? Just curious since the majority of the 4cyl. MX-3s are the DOHC variety. What type of specs are you considering?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Yeah, Danny's car is impressive, considering the condition of the motor. Once he gets everything running, it should put down some impressive numbers. Hopefully he can get ahold of the Kia Getrag gearbox instead of the TurboII unit for longevity reasons. <P>From what I've seen, you could just make the mechanical components of the kit identical for both SOHC and DOHC, just change the manifold flange. Probably something in the T2small range or small Garrett T3, though you know these B series Mazda motors like lots of boost on stock bottom ends, which might require something that likes higher pressure ratios, like a TD05-14b or TD05-16G ;)<P>Maybe a base kit for the basic IC and mani with a 14b for ~2000, then offer a high "boost upgrade" kit with the small 16G and some bit 550's for another grand. Marketing is key ;)<p>[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: David Coleman ]
David Coleman
maldo

Post by maldo »

Another nice benefit to going with either of the Mitsu turbos would be the vast availability of upgrades. A kit including the 14b should easily allow for 200-240whp, while the 16G should allow for upwards of 330whp without much hassle. I have been researching a upgrade for my current setup and may get a flange adapter for the time being inorder to test both the 14b and 16G if I can find them at reasonable prices. Another option would be to go with the T28 or T3/T04 (they generally seem to command a slightly inflated price). <P>David, you are correct in the slight variation in the flange. All that is really needed would be a seperate manifold. Of course the SOHC won't be able handle the same upper limits as the DOHC but it would be interesting to find out the limits of the sohc under boost.<P>Ric -- a large selling feature is the point regarding the need for a hood scoop with the B6T swap. For my swap, it added approx. $1400CDN for the scoop, vents, paint and labour. This is a large sum that would have been great to forego and likely will be a huge selling feature. Something to note is the need for hood pins with the FMIC.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Yeah, but if you look at Mitsu compressor maps compared to garretts, they like higher pressure ratios at a given mass flow than a comparable garret unit. <P><B>Small TD05-16G</B><BR> Image <P>vs<P><B>T04E 46 trim</B><BR> Image
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

BTW, the units on the mitsu map are kg/minute I believe.
David Coleman
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

David, where did you find those compressor maps for the Mitsu turbo? I am trying to find some for the small and big 16G, 17C, 18G, 19C, and 20G. I really want to find the maps for the 12A and 14G though.

Post by Guest »

I thnk the price would be ok, but u need to run at least 24lb's of boost, then u should feel a nice difference, (about 40-50 hp)<P>cya
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG>David, where did you find those compressor maps for the Mitsu turbo? I am trying to find some for the small and big 16G, 17C, 18G, 19C, and 20G. I really want to find the maps for the 12A and 14G though.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/images/turbo" TARGET=_blank>http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/images/turbo</A> <P>my site ;)
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by louie:<BR><STRONG>I thnk the price would be ok, but u need to run at least 24lb's of boost, then u should feel a nice difference, (about 40-50 hp)<P>cya</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>24# would put you in the 400hp range. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman

Return to “Forced Induction”