Fibreglassing custom hatch interior

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
JoBoMX3

Fibreglassing custom hatch interior

Post by JoBoMX3 »

Not sure how many guys have fibreglassed their interior, but I'm wondering what would be the best material to use to create round corners. I've heard just cloth, and then fibreglass over top of that.

If cloth is the best, do you just add resin to it, form it, let it try and then continue fibreglassing over top of that?

I'd like the custom area to have lots of shape, round corners and so forth and have the patience to do this myself, even with no experience, but these corners are started to scare me.

Thanks for your time
Chicks dig orange cars
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i know this is an old a-- topic but i am thinking of doing the same thing and i was wondering if you did it and how it turned out ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Use carpeting, the stuff they use for sub boxes.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

what about making the entire thing out of fiberglass or covering the one i have now in it ? and do you think somehtig like bondo-glass would work because i have some from my friends CRX that i can try
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I use fleece not carpet. It has almost no pile and that makes the resin covering almost ready for paint. All you do is form a substructure out of some wood, then staple the fleece over the wood sturcture and apply resin to the top of the fleece. Take the dried fleece out of the car and lay fiberglass on the under side to add stregnth. Then bondo the top side so that you can sand to a smooth finish and paint. Easy really, jsut time consuming.
Also, try something small a few times to get used to making the wood understructure and what the wood needs to look like to get the desired look from the fleece when you lay the fleece over the top.

I need to acknowledge Kevin, owner of Barney and Elmo (2 highly modded MX-3 show cars) for teaching me how to create a fleece fiberglass piece.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
swalltr207jg

Post by swalltr207jg »

I suggest using fiberglass mat, not cloth or weave, the fiberglass mat conforms to corners much better than the weaved fiberglass does
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I seconed the flease.. thats what most professionals use as Pat described above.

Return to “Appearance”