Driver Side Door Handle (Like The Passenger Side)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Driver Side Door Handle (Like The Passenger Side)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It the first thing i noticed missing when i went from driving my parents 626 to my mx-3 is the missing handle like the passenger's side has. <p>I loved it when im doing sharper turns where the g-force make your body wanna slide. What i used to do in my parents, especially in the winter snow-drift driving is grab the handle tight and push my arm against the door to hold my body and use my right hand to steer. But, now that i dont have it, as my boss's instructor said when he went to Porsche Driving School: "The steering wheel is for steering, not holding on to. If you need to hold on, push your body into your seat using the deal pedal" or something like that, which i do but doesnt work nearly as well as holding onto the handle, and i could steer easier cause my bodies weight wasnt on the wheel.<p>To make a long story short, was there an option or is there a way to have a handle on the driver side that look good and functional?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jpwmx3

Re: Driver Side Door Handle (Like The Passenger Side)

Post by jpwmx3 »

no option, just the way it was designed.
seems silly not to be the same as the passenger tho.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

One thing to think about-- Try looking for door panels from any right-hand drive MX-3's... they would have handles on (our drivers side) the passenger side...<p>Just something to think about
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

OMG! That makes soo much sence! Now, where do you get japan-specific car parts?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Image<p>tis is a pic of an eunos from austrailia, try Lucky Star, they import door panels and seats as well as most other parts, I would give them a pic to make suer you get the right style.<p>Also try Japan Auto, if you got your engine from them they might do you a favor, if you give them a pic they might send a coppy to their contacts in japan and get you one.<p>[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: curtklze ]</p>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

k, i tried lucky, they wont do that stuff anymore, just mechanical. They gave me a number for Dominion cause thats where they get their parts from, and they dont go RHD car parts<p>Any ideas?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

try some of the places that sell KL-ZEs, I think there is a list in the V6 FAQ. street imports, also check the yellow pages for the ads that say japanese body parts, engines ect(there are like 6 of them)... call them and bust their nuts, if they advertise all japanese makes then bust them on it, <p>Lucky star has a bunch of body parts in their shop, they always have Type R seats ect... I would go down there and ask where all that stuff came from, I saw 2 half cut 323GTX's about 4 months ago. <p>These places CAN get the parts, its just a pain in the but for them, so you have to be a pain in the but and dont take no for an answer, maybe tell them to get 10 left side door panels (group buy) and they may do it.<p>Ask all the companies where they get their parts from, then call that companie in japan, if you do all the work then maybe they will send the part on the next shipment to a local parts place like lucky star or japan auto.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

i'll get one too if you can find 1
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
It the first thing i noticed missing when i went from driving my parents 626 to my mx-3 is the missing handle like the passenger's side has. <p>I loved it when im doing sharper turns where the g-force make your body wanna slide. What i used to do in my parents, especially in the winter snow-drift driving is grab the handle tight and push my arm against the door to hold my body and use my right hand to steer. But, now that i dont have it, as my boss's instructor said when he went to Porsche Driving School: "The steering wheel is for steering, not holding on to. If you need to hold on, push your body into your seat using the deal pedal" or something like that, which i do but doesnt work nearly as well as holding onto the handle, and i could steer easier cause my bodies weight wasnt on the wheel.<p>To make a long story short, was there an option or is there a way to have a handle on the driver side that look good and functional?<hr></blockquote><p>the instructor was right. get the seat further towards the steering wheel, and straighten the back more. keep both hands on the wheel.<p>It works very well, and you get alot more control on the car that way.<p>If it doesn`t work, you are doing it wrong :D <p>There is a reason why racedrivers doesnt steer with only one hand, and that`s stability and control.<p>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nope-mx3:
<p>the instructor was right. get the seat further towards the steering wheel, and straighten the back more. keep both hands on the wheel.<p>It works very well, and you get alot more control on the car that way.<p>If it doesn`t work, you are doing it wrong :D <p>There is a reason why racedrivers doesnt steer with only one hand, and that`s stability and control.<p>nope-mx3<hr></blockquote><p>It depends on what your doing of course, but with me driving standard, i need to have ym seat at a certain position, sweetspot if you will, otherwise my clutch/gas timming gets off and i either ride it a bit longer or let go of it too soon, i still have alot of pratice to do with mtx, i was getting pretty good at it, but getting that sport clutch+ZE put be back almost into the beginners seat, but im alot better now...<p>I see what you mean about 2 hand and stability, i drive like that on regular pavement unless im ding a curve at high speed that doesnt need my hands to be switched. But when your "snow-drifting", hand over hand is too slow and clumbsy, i can palm roll it alot faster.<p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]<p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Get a Schroth harness with dual shoulder straps. They're street-legal (unlike Simpsons and the like which are illegal) and they'll hold you in the seat very well.

Return to “Appearance”