Want to paint valve cover, what paint?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fictionaldaydream

Want to paint valve cover, what paint?

Post by fictionaldaydream »

What's a good paint that is high tempeture one that is good to use for it? :D
I_love_my_MX-3

Re: Want to paint valve cover, what paint?

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

I painted my Heat shield over the exhaust manifold w/ some hi temp paint from ACE Hardware. I think it had a BBQ grill on the cover. Ive had it on there for a year and its still good. A few specific Hot Spots have faded a little but other than that it still looks good.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

rygy2k1

Post by rygy2k1 »

High temp. engine enamel from your local parts store. Any high temp enamel will work though. If it's not high temp., you will have a brown valve cover eventually! Make sure you: <BR>a) take the valve cover(s) off of the engine<BR>b) clean it up very well, getting all the grease off and getting the the crevices and corners.<BR>c) lightly sand it with some fine sand paper to ensure good adhesion <BR>d) put a few light coats on instead of one thick coat, let each coat dry only 5-7 minutes in between the next.<BR>e) when your down, let it set over night and it would be good practice to get new gaskets for the valve covers unless you've replaced them recently.<P>Goodluck, and let me know how it goes.
bluefirert

Post by bluefirert »

if you want to, you can have your valve cover (or any other metal part needing a cool paint job) sandblasted and then powdercoated. this gives the paint a very deep color to it and will definitely last a long time. although it can be expensive, it depends on the size of the piece and you can find somebody to do it for a reasonable price.

Return to “Appearance”