5 mechanics later, still got a strange sound from Front

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

5 mechanics later, still got a strange sound from Front

Post by quicksliver »

I have taken my car to 5 different shops now and not one has been able to give me any clear idea what's wrong with my poor mx ;(. Here goes...

Whenever i turn right my driver side wheel seems to almost feel like the tire or something is actually bumping across the road.

Here is the catch though...

It's wayyy more sensative to bumping with even the slightest turn of the wheel to the right after the car has been sitting for a while.

After it's been on the road for about 20 minutes, it's not anywhere near as sensative to bumping when i turn the wheel to the right a bit....i will now have to REALLY turn the wheel to the right hard to feel the bumping in the front driver side wheel area.

I have had 3 different wheel combinations on (205/55/15 and 205/40/17 and 205/60/15), and i STILL have this crazy bumping sound whenever i turn right.

Here is my setup...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GS
ZX2 Struts
ST Lowering Springs

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback on this. Cause the mechanics around here are usless.

<small>[ November 11, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Quick Sliver ]</small>
papa roached

Re: 5 mechanics later, still got a strange sound from Front

Post by papa roached »

maybe the axels are shot?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

worn struts or bad axle
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

That's the thing. The axle is new!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
That's the thing. The axle is new!!
Did the noise start with the replacement? Or is the noise exactly the same and just as frequent before and after the replacement. And I'm assuming you actually did the replacement yourself or saw the new axle? If a mechanic did it, I wouldn't doubt he tried to just reboot the axle and charge you for a new one.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

The noise started right after the mechanic changed the axle. I initialy bought the axle at Canadian Tire (cause its a lifetime warranty), and then brought it into the shop and had the mechanic put it on.

I brought the car back into the mechanic a few days after he put it on, explained the problem, and he looked over it but said everything was fine and that it's probably my strut that needs replaceing (This was back in Feb 2004).

To date i still don't have this fixed. However, im starting to think i have a faulty axle...is this even possible? Should the 'Lifetime Warranty' cover the cost of replaceing the part?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
However, im starting to think i have a faulty axle...is this even possible? Should the 'Lifetime Warranty' cover the cost of replaceing the part?
Sure it's possible. If it's remanufacturered like the lifetime warranty ones at Autozone, they could have missed something out of spec with the old core and just threw a new boot on it and called it a day when it may have needed some machining done. Just swap in a new one. The warranty will probably only cover the part itself. If I were you, I'd just do it myself anyways. Not that hard if you have access to a socket set and a long (24") breaker bar.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

brakes? wheel bearings, ball joints,
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I almost never notice the slight bumping sound. only in one turn..and that one is a bad turn of bad road and I am 90% sure it is the road.

other than that nothing. But I do know that my CV boots need replacing soon, so it is probably just that. And it almost never happens.
rdawg000

Post by rdawg000 »

if ur axles are new manybe its ur CV boot ! the clip thats inside the boot might not be on correctly ! that could cause the bumping! just my 02
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I've Got sort of the same problem and I just diagnosed it as a Bad Ball joint. any mechanic should figuer that one out pretty easy. jack up the driver side control arm to get the Tire in the air and keep a load on the ball joint. grab the top and botom of the tire and try to wiggle it to cheack for play in the ball joint. if there is none then give the wheel a spin if u hear a crunching noise u need to replace your wheel bearing. good luck
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

another thing it might also be is the strut bearing if it's worn or not seated right
yemc

Post by yemc »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quick Sliver:

I have had the same problem and it took many trips to the shop to get it sorted.

your main wishbone bush is screwed! get them swapped out. not to expensive. get your cv's greased up while they have it apart!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

our cars don't have wishbones.

This is just a wild guess, but maybe your thrust bearing (strut bearing) is farked on one side? that would cause a weird vibration and strange steering feel fo sho.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

OH i should also mention that i get the same bumping sound/feel when i go over DIPS in the road...not bumps, but DIPS. Because of this, im leaning towards ball joint maybe?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”