KLZE opinion

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93-Spec-Edn

KLZE opinion

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hello

I am thinking of getting a KLZE this month. From searching on this site, I have seen mixed opinions. Some people say its a night and day difference over stock, others say they have dynoed at only 124WHP, not a great deal over stock. I have also seen various people get bad motors. My quesyion is; those of you who have done the swap, how do u feel about the KLZE? Is therea huge power difference over the K8 low and high end? Was it worth the hastle and money buying a used engine?

Thanks
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
your2slow

Re: KLZE opinion

Post by your2slow »

Just Got my KL-ZE done yesturday. Trust me there is a BIG A** difference. Night and Day difference. Go with the ZE. With getting bad engines, there is really nothing you can do. Just make sure you get it from a company that is well known and will get you a new engine if the first is bad.

IMO go for the ze swap and you'll never go back. :2thumbsup:

Also if you do go for the ZE swap, get the flywheel lightend and a new clutch. I got the centerforce dual friction clutch and its awsome.

<small>[ June 05, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Search and U will find your answer.
There is a huge difference between the 2. I just swapped to the ZE a few months back, I am running the Remapped ECU and there is lots of power. U can actually pass someone in 5th gear up a hill.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

when you say "get the flywheel lightened" wouldnt bolting the k8 flywheel on essentially do the same thing? I've met a few PGT guys that want k8 flywheels cause they're lighter than the 2.5's
Taras

Post by Taras »

I guess it all comes down to whether the difference between 132hp and 195hp is big enough for you. I love mine.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Ayaz:
others say they have dynoed at only 124WHP, not a great deal over stock. I have also seen various people get bad motors.
People who get only 124 are using the wrong intake manifold, wrong throttle body, have the timing off, etc. There's just something wrong. Some do get bad motors. Research the place you want to buy from first, though, for reputation. Also, you may want to find a place within driving distance so you can handpick one and save shipping costs. Also, most places give a warranty long enough for you to install it and make sure it works OK, so if it's in driving distance, it's not a HUGE deal getting another under warranty since you won't have to pay shipping.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

What would be better. Getting a brand new crate (brand new) KLDE for $2000US or a used KLZE?
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

u can get a KLZE for under $1000, with less than 30K miles on it. soooo for around 195hp compared to the 167hp that the KLDE has, i'd say its worth it! :D i'm about to get mine swapped at the end of the month too.. having second thoughts, but i know that having a new(er) motor and MUCH more power will make it all worth it!
92 Autozam AZ3
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by JDM:
I guess it all comes down to whether the difference between 132hp and 195hp is big enough for you. I love mine.
And the 40+ ft lbs of torque :D
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

yeah, there really is no question. It IS night and day. Second gear feels faster than first did with the k8. It sounds awesome as well.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Thanks for the replies. I guess i am going for it if I can find a good engine.
Originally posted by killerpickle:
yeah, there really is no question. It IS night and day. Second gear feels faster than first did with the k8. It sounds awesome as well.
What exhaust r u running to get that sound?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i've gone ZE and never would never go back! Its so much fun to drive...i love the fact i can pass cars leaving it in 5th intead of 3rd.

It was definitely worth the hassle. And everything i've learned in the process doing all the research...man, the stuff i learned from doing the swap is priceless in itself...i always wanted to get into cars, but never had the influence...me and my mechanic did teh swap in his home garage...doing the swap itself was a great experience, the driving afterwards it even better :D

i would think a new crated DE would be perfect for a turbo project
And the 40+ ft lbs of torque
I belive its more than that, more like 60+, im sure stock was 115ft/lbs while the ZE's are about 175ft/lbs if i remember correctly

when i did teh swap, i still had my 1.5" exaust and it sounded exactly the same after i put in my ZE, except for inside the car, you can hear the engine had more or a lower roar to it

<small>[ June 06, 2004, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I've checked several Japanese sites, and they all give 164 to 165 ftlbs for the Eunos 800 (Millenia) with KLZE. The current (slightly de-tuned) KLZE gives 161.

Now the Mazda site:
http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.millenia.mazda.co.jp%2fspec04.html
seems to say that you can have two measurements, one of which is 15% lower than the other. I think they mean you can either measure the engine on a test bed, without its auxiliaries (alternator, water pump, power steering pump) or a more realistic figure with these items driven by the engine. I gather the Mazda site is quoting the lower (more realistic) figure.

If you increase 165 by 15% you get 190, which could explain some of these high torque figures you sometimes see.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I just finished a KL-ZE swap. No doubt about it, it is SO much faster! It makes people say "how is a MX-3 fast?!" that alone is good enough for me!! :2thumbsup: I bought my motor from Noyan USA in virginia, it was AWESOME!! Definatly buy from there, i've heard many people get screwed by osaka. I paid for my engine on a friday, and it came in on wednesday of the next week! Thats five days including the weekend! Not to mention the engine was Immaculate!! You will not be disapointed if you call them, great service, 6 month warrenty, great business to work with. I felt like they actually wanted to talk to me, unlike Osaka. You won't be dissapointed! Also, they sell it for $945 shipped, US funds
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
mightym0use5

Post by mightym0use5 »

I had mine for almost a year now and i have no regrets. You are going to love the difference. Even if you are using the k8 mani and TB, you still feel the power.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”