what does this thing do?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

what does this thing do?

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hi guys I was just wondering what is the line that goes just in front of the radiator and does a u bend and comes back (where the hood latch is)..It seems related to the power steering...Is it really usefull? ...I mean could I cut it and make it shorter because i want to put a decent size intercooler there and this is taking up valuable space...what does it exactly do?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jordan69

Re: what does this thing do?

Post by jordan69 »

well, since it is placed out in the front of the vehicle and is bent like a coil, i would say it is a heat exchanger for the power steering if it is attached to there. keep the fluid cool under lots of steering possibly? i dunno. :shrug:
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
lil_gary

Post by lil_gary »

well, since it is placed out in the front of the vehicle and is bent like a coil, i would say it is a heat exchanger for the power steering if it is attached to there. keep the fluid cool under lots of steering
:werd:
"I Am We Tall Did"
Say it loud
Say it proud.

Support Mx-3.com Click here for Mx-3 Products.
To search for a topic on the Mx-3 Bullletin Board click here
Searching gives a instant response to questions
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Yup- It's to cool the power steering fluid. So leave it alone.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

i didn't want to dump the system...I meant if I cut it near the passanger headlight and put some kind of a U line..would it affect a lot the power steering?...It can't make much of a difference right?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The power steering fluid could overheat and kill everything in the power steering system- rack, pump etc. Not really worth the risk.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Havent done it myself...But people have replaced that long pipe with a real "and much smaller" cooler,like a miniradiator just for the powersteering :)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”