Why is my KL-ZE running so slow?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bubbaflaat

Why is my KL-ZE running so slow?

Post by bubbaflaat »

OK, just got back from the track with my newly swapped KL-ZE. The best I could run was 15.5?!
OK, I have headers, intake, exhaust, lightened flywheel, act clutch, ur pulley. I'm currently running K8 ecu and VAF though. Would this make THAT big of difference?! I'm really confused. Timing is right, doesn't run too lean or rich even. I NEED help!!
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
korban

Re: Why is my KL-ZE running so slow?

Post by korban »

ecu makes a very big difference.
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

I run low 14's with the o8 ecu, there is something else wrong with your car.
See you in my rear wiew!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I thought it was better to use the Probe VAF with the K8 ECU? Also, which intake manifold are you using?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

maybe your a crappy driver with crappy tires?
I know Im a crappy driver. :shrug:

I drove a car and went 15.2, next time out a guy that can drive drove it and went 14.7. :shrug:
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
korban

Post by korban »

other possibility is you may have been boned and got a klde instead of a ze
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

No, I know it is a ZE, it says KL on the block, meaning 2.5 litre, and it has an ms8 manifold, and the kl-01 cams, and the KL-ZE heads, and you would be able to tell a difference in pistons through the spark plug hole wouldn't you? Being the ze is a flat-top piston? LOL curt. I DO have crappy tires, but i'm not a bad driver. Sure i'm not a F1 racer, but i've been driving for a while. Lets put it this way, my last civic I had I could run mid 15s in. And the person I sold it to and all his friends can't even get into the 15s. I just sprayed all my vacum hoses with brake cleaner, and no leaks were found. Oh, the coolent bypass line split and I just blocked it off and haven't installed a new hose yet. LOL but that wouldn't make that much of a difference would it? I don't know, i'm just frustrated. Seems like the temperature is a BIG factor, cause after a little city driving it seems to be alot slower, then when it cools it is better. I know the intake manifold temp issues. But DAMN!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

is your vris working properly...i know it sounds strange but check them....I just went to the track with mine and best I got was 14.8...without vris #2 working....vaccum was unplugged...i had crappy tires too...I'm returning this week and hopping to get 14.5
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Try running the vaf from a mx6 or probe. I couldnt get my ze to run to stong with the 1.8 ecu and vaf. It ran better with the 1.8 ecu and a north american 2.5 vaf.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
korban

Post by korban »

wow. you said its not running rich ??? the stock ecu makes it run rich by default .. do you have an a/f gauge in there?
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I don't have an A/F gauge. But the plugs are very light brown. Not black like a rich engine should be. Ummmm, When would the second VRIS point engage with a K8 ecu? I know the one around 4000 opens cause I can feel it big time. What should I use, probe ecu and mx-3 VAF? Or mx-3 ecu and probe VAF? Any ideas guys? Thanks!!
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

look at the back of the motor where the VRIS bits are.

Rev your engine by hand and look to see if the VRIS is kicking in 1 of them moves all the time under load then other moves only at higher revs. If they are moving they are fine.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Make sure you keep the hood open between runs. With a hot engine your times will drop. My car was .4 seconds slower on runs I kept the hood closed while waiting in the lanes.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Yeah, the vris system seems to be functioning properly. I think the cat might be a little clogged up. But I still don't believe that would make it so much slower than it should be. I'm so frustrated, I built it up in my head that it will be so much faster and I get it in and this happens. I know the the manifold is REDICULISLY hot!! I don't understand how it make any power at all with the manifold being so hot. But I don't know. I'm just really confused and I almost lost to a neon..... :shrug:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”