HELP!!! I saw oil on the top of my engine....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
appe

HELP!!! I saw oil on the top of my engine....

Post by appe »

Hi! I will try to explain as good as I can...my english is bad when I talk about engineparts...

CAR: MX 3 1992 V6

PROBLEM:
There is oil on the engine. Maybe as much as a teaspoon. It is only beside one of the sparkplugs (1 of 6). If you stand looking at the engine it is the one to the right nearest you. Why does it leak oil? What to do? By the way...I must fill up oil quite often...about 1 liter per 1000km...

Thanks!!!
Angel
userAttila19

Re: HELP!!! I saw oil on the top of my engine....

Post by userAttila19 »

Maybe you have a cracked valve-cover gasket.. Or you might even have a cracked *leaking* valve seal for that cylinder..
No time to slow down. 1995 MX-3 GS http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/566272
appe

Post by appe »

Thanks for response...

If those problems have ocurred...what have to be done...we talk a lot of money?:-)
Angel
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Not if it's a valve cover gasket. That doesn't cost much at all (about $20 or so) from your local Mazda dealership. Never had to replace a valve seal, but I wouldn't think that would cost too much either. If you're leaking that much oil, it's probably a bad valve cover gasket. I had that problem a while back with my 4 banger. Check all around the seals for leaks. Be sure to check the one under the manifold too.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

mine are leaking, cant get to fix them yet, but its most likely valve cover gasket, if its valve seal that would cost big amount i suppose, cause mechanic will have to overhaul head.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Yeah, my car really burns and leaks oil right now. I should replace the vc gaskets too, but I'll be swapping soon anyway. So for now I just feed her 2-3 quarts between oil changes.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Be sure to replace the valve cover grommets too. Thats more likely the problem if you've got oil on top of the valve cover.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”