Bunny Hopping

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dino700

Bunny Hopping

Post by Dino700 »

Hi Guys I don't really know how to explain this but when I take of in 1st gear the car starts to bunny hop (jolt) once I have disengaged the clutch. No matter how much I balance the clutch and the accelerator it still does it. But it only seems to do it once I have reach a bout 4K RPM. First I thought it was my clutch on its way out but it seems to be fine in all other gears. I also thought it might be fuel starvation so I put 3 bottles of injector cleaner through and changed the fuel filter. Arh.... I don't know what to do. I hate when my baby is sick.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Dea
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Bunny Hopping

Post by mitmaks »

have you tried starting to drive from 2nd gear, does it go smooth? then its just way your 1st gear is, mine is too, its just way it engages, agressive cams pulling car.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Nooo, that's not just the way 1st gear is. I can make my klze take off smoothly, so I'd imagine you guys can get your k8 to take off smoothly. Try to keep the RPM's down when taking off...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
13flat

Post by 13flat »

it always hops if your rpms are too high, now if you were hopping in 1st gear at like 1000 rpms then you'd be in trouble...but i cant think of a time i've launced at over 4k and not had significant hop...or wheelspin that scared the sh*t out of me...
Goal: 1/4 mile time of 13.099 or better, N/A. ...still in the works

http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?ittfund
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

happend to me everytime..i heard changing your suspension for a better one will improve that...I'm changing mine so I'll give you news about it
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
plusinfinit

Post by plusinfinit »

I am not sure about this but somewhere i heared that excesive wheel hop can be caused by a misaligned CV shaft. Again i don't know if somethung like this is possible but any ways go to MIDAS they give u free estimate lol.
StPapp
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

it might be your ignition wires that need to be changed...

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

i don't think wheel hop can be cause by faulty wires...mine are new and I'm still jumping..don't see how it could affect this..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Usually wheel hop is caused by old worn out motor mounts. Check and make sure yours arnt ripped or broken. Poly urathane mounts cut down on wheel hop.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Im willing to try and prove if the misaligned cv shafts are the cause. I have incredible amounts of wheel hop. But...I also have 230k on my suspension and 1/8 tread on my front tires. I just went to midas today and had both cv axles replaced. My driver side was dried out, ripped a long time ago, my passenger side was ripped with grease still oozing out. Replaced both for 350 cdn (discounted). Surprisingly my axles were "okay".
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Getting filled engine mounts will help the hop. Supposidly they make an anti-hop bar for civics. My friend has a civic up at school and his hopped worse then mine did when I had my old engine.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
MX3ze@7psi

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

When I first fot my motor swapped in and went to the track, I launched at 3k rpm and my tires were just bouncing up and down I had to let go of the gas pedel just to make the car move. Second time my axles broke right on the track. I must of just moved at most 5 feet or less before it stop moving. I found out that if I run with bigger tires it doesn't hop but if I go with my 17" 205/40/zr17's they hop like crazy. If you Keep on hopping your axles will break!!!
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

wheel hop is not good trust me. definetly get filled motor mounts and if you can a better suspension. if you dont eventually something WILL break, like it did to me (snapped passenger axle doing a stupid launch) not to mention the fact that i cant downshift into 3rd gear now lol. until you do something about it i wouldnt recommend launching hard at all, something is bound to break if its on a regular basis.
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

You gotta avoid wheel hop at all costs. You'll deffinatly break something. I got poly-filled mounts when I put my ZE in, it's almost impossible to hop with em compared to the mush that was holding my K8 in after 200k+ clicks.
Dino700

Post by Dino700 »

Thanks for your help guys.. I will check the mounts this afternoon. The only thing is that the car is also loosing power in first gear aswell. If I try and go up a hill the car nearly stalls in first gear. I really have to keep the revs up. hmm think I'll have to take it to a mechanic.

Dea

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”