Interest in MX3 downpipes (y-pipes)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gro Harlem

Interest in MX3 downpipes (y-pipes)

Post by Gro Harlem »

This is my basica assessement of the header situations for our cars:

Pacesetter: very inexpensive, doesn't fit well, will need modification to fit a mx3, rusts out quickly, makes most power (~13whp gain on KLZE), makes engine sounds crappier.

Hot Shot: very expensive, flexpipe, still needs modification to fit mx3, quality is so-so, engine sound retained, makes a bit less power than pacesetter (~11whp gain on KLZE)

Engine sound is important to me. I don't want a pacesetter, modifying it to holy hell to fit, only for it to make my car sound like a$$.

I'd rahter just get a nice downpipe made SPECIFICALLY for our car. Seeing how pipe locations are the same on both K8, and KL motors, this would work for any V6 MX3, engine swap or not.

I've talked to a few guys who know how to properly design headers, and they said that 2" piping for a downpipe would be the best.

The downpipe I'm thihnking of getting made will be made of 2" SS steel, mandrel bends welded together w/the O2 sensor bungs, and flanges.

Not sure how much this would cost in all, but I got a buddy who owns a machine shop who said he'd use my car for a test subject, next time I visit him, and make me a downpipe of my own.

Anyone interested in this idea?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mightym0use5

Re: Interest in MX3 downpipes (y-pipes)

Post by mightym0use5 »

sounds pretty good, but you have to dyno before and after -so you know how much you gained, and see what kind of price you can get.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Dyno's have showed very minimal gains on any type of designed header. Why? because Mazda did a good job of designing our exhaust manifolds and Y pipe. Back when Interprep was building engines for 2 MX-6 race teams they tried various designs and really couldn't come up with anything much better then the stock setup. The only way headers might be an advantage is if you were running a highly aggressive cam, exhaust work, Intake, and a P&P. But who really wants to spend money on the thing that actually makes hp, the cams! My opinion is the only reason people want headers is to be able to say "Hey, I got headers on my car" and performance really isn't a goal, its astetics.

Sorry I don't mean to high jack your post, I would just hate for you to put alot of time and energy into something that doesn't have a lot benefit. :shrug:

If you could get someone to cut some cams for us for a reasonable price we would be on the right track.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I know they are well designed, hence why i'd rather spend my money on a downpipe.

There is no way you can say the stock downpipe is "well designed" Mine has bends that are almost 90 degree angles, and it uses about 1.675" tubing. A 2" downpipe would definitely free up some power for sure.

Anyways, i'm just trying to get interest. I"m doing this regardless, so if people want in on it, lemme know. BTW: this won't happen until winter break. I"m going to drive up to MI to meet up with my buddy, and we are going to do the exhaust w/downpipe, and paint my car since he owns a machine and body shop.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

if it makes power on a ZE mx-3 then im interested.

and yes the main thing holding back the power is the cams.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

add the kfze cams to your ze then get your headers you will see big number change
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

and where can i get KF-ZE cams?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I would like a downpipe . Stainless you said ?
Also I would like some KFZE cams , where can I get these besides a KFZE motor itself .
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

id be interested in headers for ze, keep us updated whatever you do.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
curve

Post by curve »

I would be interested in the downpipes and also is the kfze and klo3 the same engine if so I have a set of cams I will sell someone. :2thumbsup:
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

1/4 mile times 13.46 at 103
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

Gro,
I know that right now you are interested in making some Y-pipes for our cars, but is there any chance that your friend would be interested in possible producing some piping for a turbo kit? I know its a stretch but I figured i'd ask, I mean I wont be ready to boost until next june anyways, but you said that development wouldnt begin until the winter anyways.

Also will these Y-pipes be equal length or is that just not going to be a possiblity due to the space restriction of the mx-3. Also will these include a flex pipe.

<small>[ October 08, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: mxer4eva ]</small>
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

For what it's worth, Interprep claims to have dyno'ed an otherwise stock KL-03 at 170.2 hp with a straight pipe exhaust and custom 1.75" downpipes.

If you figure that Corksport found that they gained about 5 hp with a straight pipe, the peak gains would appear to be virtually nil with the downpipes IF their dyno numbers are crank or flywheel HP. Since the picture of the engine on the dyno on their website suggests that they are using an engine dyno, I would assume this to be the case.

Now, bear in mind that their dyno test was done with stock exhaust manifolds, so they weren't really taking full advantage of the extra flow in the downpipes. If the manifolds were Extrude-Honed, a couple hp gain might be found.

If their dyno numbers are WHEEL hp, however, then the downpipes would appear to make significant horsepower - on the order of at least 10 hp peak.

I would venture to guess that they found larger diameter downpipes lost too much exhaust gas velocity at lower RPM, hurting low to mid-range power and torque.

All that being said, I was thinking of doing the same thing to our MX-3 down the road. When you have some idea on pricing, let us know!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”