I blew my engine - I need advice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

I blew my engine - I need advice

Post by jasonbierschwale »

My wife was driving the car today, when it started making a god-awful noise - she ran it out of oil. I went to check out the car, filled it with oil, started it up, and heard what sounded like a severe rod knock. It is definitely rotating-assembly related, as it increases in both speed and volume when the accelerator is pushed. When holding one's hand on the intake, you can actually 'feel' the knock. Is this a spun rod bearing? Maybe a broken rod that has not punched through the block yet? I'm open to all suggestions - I need to fix this thing cheaply and quickly. I'm broke (as I'm sure most people are right now), and this is my only form of transportation. It's currently 15 miles from the house... I actually debated driving it home, then thought better about it. If anyone knows of a complete K8 in Texas for sale, that would be the easiest route. When I get it home, I'm going to tear into the bottom end and see what is to be seen. I've never opened up a mazda engine before - any pointers before removing the oilpan? Does anyone know where to get a piston/rod/bearing? Thanks!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
mazdamaniac

Re: I blew my engine - I need advice

Post by mazdamaniac »

After I threw the #4 rod back in March, I was actually able to drive the car - even with a quarter-sized hole in the block and oil flying everywhere.
However, I had no intention of saving the motor - it is easier to simply swap the whole engine then to try and tear it down.
You will find that the 2.5 liter motor from the Probe/MX-6/626 will be cheaper in the junk yards than the 1.8, so just swap up.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I did the same exact thing to my car like 2-3 weeks ago, same exact noise and everything. I just bought my friends old Probe GT engine with 35,000 miles on it for $400 and I'm about to go install it by weeks end hopefully. Should be a quick install an my car will be running with more horsepower and about 100,000 less miles. I'm happy its the best bang for your buck mod ill be doing. Less money than headers and I get 40 hp.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

if you can find out which head you might have damaged i can send/sell you one, i have completely taken off the rear one , (closest to the windshield) for some dude and ends up he didnt really need it so if i can help lmk
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

What is a fair price to pay for a KL-DE 2.5L out of a junkyard? How about from an individual? Does anyone have one that they need to get rid of? I'm hard up for one... if anyone can help out, please let me know. Thanks!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Trinity23T:
What is a fair price to pay for a KL-DE 2.5L out of a junkyard? How about from an individual? Does anyone have one that they need to get rid of? I'm hard up for one... if anyone can help out, please let me know. Thanks!<hr></blockquote><p>I wouldn't pay more than $500 since you can just get a KFZE for that much.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”