Open airfilter! Is it worth it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
appe

Open airfilter! Is it worth it?

Post by appe »

The idea with open airfilter is to get in more air to burningprocess (cold air is best). If there is not enough gasolin to burn an open airfilter gives TOO much air and the filter gives opposite effect...car gets less effective.<p>If there is more gasolin and more air is needed an oper airfilter gives more effect to engine.<p>How is it with MX 3?
Angel
nope-mx3

Re: Open airfilter! Is it worth it?

Post by nope-mx3 »

I installed a HKS kit just the other day.
Excellent kit by the way. Complete with brackets and everything you need.<p>The sound is incredible, and the responsiveness of the engine got at lot better.
It picks up on the rpm a lot quicker, so I`d say it`s worth it :D
The sound alone is a killer, hehe<p>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

i made my own intake out of a civic one. its not the best designs but works until i figure out something better but yes the car s much more responsive.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Read his statement, Appe is saying simply "does an air filter (other than stock) offer too much airflow and create a lean fuel charge?"<p>The answer is no, there is no possible way an air filter alone can create a lean enviroment. The only way for that to happen is if your injectors aren't operating correctly or you're running too much boost from a turbo/supercharger (which you aren't).<p>In actuality your engine isn't operating at it's full potential even when in stock form. A higher flowing air filter allows more air to be mixed with fuel and enter the cylinders to be ignited. In no way can that be detrimental because even then you are burning more fuel than necessary in comparison to the air being allowed into the cylinder. The only way to have more air mixed with fuel, without forced induction or nitrous, is through a cold air intake. The cold air intake is designed to allow a denser air charge. This more dense air possess more oxygen molecules and allows you to have a "closer-to-ideal" air to fuel ratio.
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

and the cooler the air the better , so if someone puts an open air filter drawing air off of a 200 degree engine bay that does not help in that case the stock air box with a k+n drop in and and a cool air duct would be better. unless you just want to sound fast.
13.023 @ 105 mph

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”