head unit or amp to power speakers?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Maddbuck

head unit or amp to power speakers?

Post by Maddbuck »

I've always wanted to know how to match speakers to the right amount of amp power. <BR>My deck unit does about 50w max power and about 19w RMS. What is the max speaker power this can handle without using an external amp? <BR>Right now I have stock 25w max speakers up front and 6.5 160w speakers in the back. Am I over powered or under powered anywhere? <BR>I plan to put 6.5 component speakers up front rated at 180w max.<P>any advice is greatly appreciated :roll:
loudsubz

Re: head unit or amp to power speakers?

Post by loudsubz »

Your underpowering them. Give the speakers like 50 watt RMS and you good to go.<P>Im running 100 watt RMS per side to my front speakers which are older pioneer coaxials rated for 30 watt RMS and they sound very good.<P>There is such an improvment when you run your speakers off an amp and not your hu.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

When you run speakers off an amp they sound much better. The amp supplies them with CLEAN power. So even if you have a 50 watt amp, it's going to sound better than running them off your 50 watt head unit.
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction
justin h

Post by justin h »

Also, 50w for the head unit is the most they could ever dream of it putting out. So, it really will only put out between 10-15w.
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justin h:<BR><STRONG>Also, 50w for the head unit is the most they could ever dream of it putting out. So, it really will only put out between 10-15w.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, the 50 watt is MAX, if you look at the RMS it is like around 10-15 watt RMS.<P>A good 50 watt RMS per channel amp will make a huge difference.
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

cool thanks guys. Another question:<BR>one or two amps ?<P>I currently have one for two 8" subs that came already assembled rated at 350w. (Cheap deal). A 300w x2 at about 70rms each channel. Do I get a four channel amp at 50 RMS each with pre amp outs to go to my other amp running the subs or get one to handle it all?<P>Thanks <BR> :roll:
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

1 or 2 amps doens't matter. Its the same thing. It will draw the same power (if it has the same ratings etc)<P>Since you already have an amp for your subs, I saw just get an amp for your frotn speakers and run your rear speakers off the deck.<P>All you need is a cheap 2 channel 100-200 watt rms amp. :)

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”