CEL - code 16 - idle/stalling

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Golliwog

CEL - code 16 - idle/stalling

Post by Golliwog »

So I've been trying to sell my mx3 recently. It's been sitting for awhile now, I've taken it for a quick spin every now and then, but it's been sitting for maybe a month. Never noticed any problems.

I moved this past weekend, and yesterday, brought the mx3 to my new place (about 40mins away). Noticed that the check engine light was coming on randomly then shutting off. Then would come back on. Everything seemed fine on the highway etc. So I kept going. Got it home.

The next day I take it for a quick spin.... Idle is terrible, basically everytime I put the clutch in, it would stall.

So I take it home, check the code... 16. Engine gas recirculation system. I have been playing around with the vacuum lines on those, but really have no idea what I'm doing. With a few disconnected, sometimes the idle is ok, then will start bogging again.

Another thing is the way the exhaust sounds itself.... It seems to stutter, almost as if it might be restricted a little somehow. I can't really explain it much better then that, but it sounds like it cuts in and out.

So.... Could like a clogged cat be the cause of all this? Could there be more then one issue here? Any suggestions on where to start? I might not get around to it tommorow, but my next step will be disconnecting the exhaust and see what happens.

<small>[ September 28, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Golliwog ]</small>
-Golli
Golliwog

Re: CEL - code 16 - idle/stalling

Post by Golliwog »

P.S. This is a 94 mx-3, DOHC. Got quite a few kms on it (260k), 5 spd. If any of that helps.
-Golli
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Code 16 is for your exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) position sensor. Were ya messing with those vac lines before the prob developed or after you pulled the code? Also, this code gets memorized in the ECU so you'd need to clear it after doing any fix attempts to get rid of it. Then, if it (or any other codes) come back, the EGR prob is being "read fresh" and not from memory storage of the original malfunction.
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

It was after I found out the code that we were checking the vac lines.
-Golli
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

No one has any suggestions?
-Golli
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Haven't had to do this myself (yet) but from what I've read, the EGR valve passage can get blocked/partially blocked from carbon buildup and that can generate code 16. Solution is to remove the EGR valve and open the passage by poking a wire thru. Reinstall EGR, clear the ECU code(s), restart the motor and see what ya get. Post if you need instruction on clearing the CEL code(s).

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”