Need help with Water Pump

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mark98GT

Need help with Water Pump

Post by Mark98GT »

Hi, my car just had a new alternator belt placed on and now the car makes this pinging sound when i start the car up. The mechanic said it was my water pump that was loose and its making the noise. He said I need to replace the timing chain and water pump. Charging me 350 for the whole thing

He was pointing out the water pump pully and said its a little wobbbly. Am i being lied to or do u think its the tensioner on the new belt

He's working on it right now. What can i look at to see if he does replace the stuff he said he would.

Thanks
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Need help with Water Pump

Post by Custommx3 »

the 4cl has nothing but a spring. Ive had mine for 165k miles... and never replaced it.
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

If the water pump is loose, wouldn't it be leaking fluid? Was it? Timing chain, or belt? Had mine on for 230,000 miles, was never replaced. I would question the mechanic. Have you seen for yourself the condition of the timing belt?
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

1.6? 4 cylinder?
Mine is a 94, the alternator is the tensioner for that belt. The water pump pulley has a groove for the alt belt. I had some trouble with the alt belt fitting too tight before and I removed the water pump pulley to get the belt on. If he did this and did not tighten all the bolts, then the pulley would be wobbley. If your water pump is loose as he says, then it would leak. The tensioner for the timing BELT is a spring, but the a bolt holds the tensioner pulley in place, the spring does nothing after you tighten the bolt.
350 for water pump and timing belt sounds reasonable, but replacing te alt belt should not cause a wobbley water pump pulley.

Just my 2 cents.
any one else have an idea?

:welder:
:welder:
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Check the water pump pulley, but watch out the three bolts that hold it on are very delicate - will break easy!!

When my water pump was going it sounded like the bearing inside was loose making that LOUD noise on the passengers side. If it's not loud, leaking coolant or overheating your engine - your pump is probably good. But if you are going to replace your timing belt, you should replace the water pump too, along with the timing belt tensioner.

Too me it sounds like he might have broken the bolts on the water pump pulley when he pulled it off for some reason. I'd check the bolts and see if they look new or damaged.

oh, ya and I'd get a second opinion. Have them check the install the guy did and check your pulley and water pump.

Good luck and don't just take it if you think he is lying... find out he is lying and screw him to the wall. Don't need no stinking cheating mechanics.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

i am in houston , tx
i had the water pump replaced last year. while they had it open, i told them if they would replace the timimg belt. the belt was not bad but since it was opened to put the water pump, i said might as well put in the timimg belt. i paid about 100 for the job couse i bought the parts. ie lower price than they could.
i never use the dealers place. i always use private machanics.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”