I think my starting motor is fried....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

I think my starting motor is fried....

Post by Franko »

This sucks. I just went to fire up the mx and with a turn of the key, behold! Nothing happens. It isnt like the lights dim or anything but the volts do go down. You can hear almost a high pitched noise when you try and turn it over. I dont think that it is actually engaging. I think that the damn thing just might be fried in general. It after all turning over an engine that it is not supposed to. By the way the starter is off the 93 mx sohc and now it is suffering to turn over a bpt. Anyone else have this problem? I remember someone else saying that their starter was gone from theit bpt too.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
OsoSlo z28

Re: I think my starting motor is fried....

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

try beating on the starter solenoid with a wrench or something similar. with age, the solenoid tends to stick. if this is the case, and it starts afterwards, it's time for a new starter.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Ok it just decided to start working again.. Loose connection mabey?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Franko:
Ok it just decided to start working again.. Loose connection mabey?
Maybe... and it's worth checking your battery cable connections to be sure, but your experience sounds exactly like a starter going bad. If so, that starter "dead spot" will continue to get worse until it doesn't start at all. Your previous start attempts essentially were eventually able to "get by it" this time which is also the same desired outcome from tapping the starter that OsoSlo described.
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

go get a starter for the protege asap. thats what mine did and the starter was getting stuck and i kept trying to start it so i could get it to the shop well lets just say i got it started barely and when it was changed the starter was all chewed up. get it changed soon or you will be stuck. i need to look at mine again cuz i think something is wrong cuz my starter acts like its bout to go out again. but i just need it to last about another month or so and then i wont be using it for about a year and a half. get it fixed soon.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

take it off and go to your local parts store they should be able to test if for you for free
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Yep, it was fried.. I went to a starting motor place to check out prices and I was gonna go back to work but the car refused to start so I had to get it done. Wasent too bad to fix. 70 bucks (tax included) installed. Cant beat that. Actually it sounds better now when it starts. It has a different kind of sound.. :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”