help on tires

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
IM12NV

help on tires

Post by IM12NV »

hey, i want to get a set of new rims... i want to get them cheap... anything is better than my hubcaps (not so appealing)... and so, any set will do, even old and used... if i search on ebay, what should i look for? like i know i need a 4 x 100 bolt pattern... whats it mean when they say offset? plus, can someone give me some keywords to sue... i try mx-3 and mazda and 4 x 100, but i only found like one or two... please, anyone help me.... email me too, dpa2@lehigh.edu
- Domenick -
Tropical Emerald Metallic 1995 Mazda MX-3 RS
ryanlindenberg

Re: help on tires

Post by ryanlindenberg »

offset is where the center of your rim is sitting(where you connect the wheel to the hub). some wheels will have it centered in the middle of the rim and others will have it off to one side of the rim, this determines the amount of offset. i don't know what offset our cars are supposed to have but i have heard if you mess it up you car will handle horribly.<p>hope this helps, it's hard to explain, it would be easier to understand if there was a picture or something.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
IM12NV

Post by IM12NV »

ok thanks... i think i understand.... however i heard something a little while ago from someone that it means how far out it will stick... meaning if we have a 45 mm offset, which i found somewhere from a tire website that said the mx-3 has a 45 mm offset, and if you get a 40 mm offset that the tire will stick out a 5mm offset a little... im so confused and i know i sound more confusing... so please, someone help me. does what you just said mean that i cannot get any other rim than a 45 mm offset if thats what my car is set for????
- Domenick -
Tropical Emerald Metallic 1995 Mazda MX-3 RS
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

here is a good website to explain offset.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm<p>and here is an offset calculator
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html<p>it says that you will want to change the offset because if you get a wider wheel with the same offset the tire could rub your struts.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”