Help with motor gear (emergency)!!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ravve

Help with motor gear (emergency)!!!!

Post by ravve »

Hi! Please I have a problem with my MX-3 -93 16V SOHC (I think it´s a SOHC). It started 2 days ago: when I´m driving and I steer the wheels, suddenly a big sound comes from the front of the car and the car "jerks" (like if someone hit the brakes) a second or so and then it returns to it´s normal condition. This happens every single time I steer, both to the left and to the right, and even when I reverse. This happens specially while I´m returning to a straight position (straitening back the wheels after the steering). The sound comes repetedly until the wheels are straight again, the sound does not come when i´m driving straight forward. Then one more strange thing, the "reversing light" back on the car that is supposed to be lighten up ONLY when I am reversing the car, it was hooked up for a while so that the light ALWAYS was lighten even when I´m driving forward, but after a while driving around, it turned back to normal. I´ve checked with the mecanic man, he told me that it is propably the motor gear that I must change. Please guys, do anyone of you know ANYTHING about this problem?? If it is the motor gear, I wonder this: can I replace the motor gear om my 93-RS with a 92 V6 for example, or must i JUST have a motor gear from the exact same car as mine?<p>Please answer thanks!!
//Rawad from Sweden
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: Help with motor gear (emergency)!!!!

Post by Shady469 »

auto or 5-speed? either way the K series(V6) motors use different trannies so i doubt it would be interchangable. i could be wronge though...
specially since i have no idea what a motor gear is :shrug:<p>[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</p>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

not sure about the "jerking" issue, but the noise that is directly affected by steering is probably your pwr steering pump.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Shades

Post by Shades »

I would have to say it was something to do with you power steering. Do a test... roll foreward very slowly and then try to turn you wheels, see if it does what it's doing.<p>About the lights, if it fixed itself then don't worry about it.<p>Oh yeah, I'd get that looked at very soon cause if you driving down the road and you want to make a turn and your car doesn't go where you want it to go... Oh oh!<p>[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Shades ]</p>
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

dont go to him! wtf is a motor gear? any1? the steering might be the cv joints?or maybe something along that nature? i doubt its the pump i dont think the pump would cuz jerking like he/she says.The lights thing i would worry but not stress it (tickets they suck)
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
ravve

Post by ravve »

Excuse me, my english is not the best. By motor gear I meant the gear, you know the whole "gear system". And yea, I have 5 -speed, not automatic.
And yes, if i drive forward slowly and turn, the sound and the "jerk" still comes...<p>Plz help!!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

what type of noise is this?<p>if it's a whine type of noise when you steer, it's your power steering pump. this jerking deal, is it felt in the steering wheel or the whole car? when you're turning, does it get hard to steer at any time?<p>another possible situation is that your cv axles are EXTREMELY bad. almost to the point of breaking. this wouldn't be indicated by a whine..more of a grinding/popping noise.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

How hard do you drive your car??? It maybe a broken diffenential in the tranny. I've broken 2 of them F25-R's. The first time I was spinning tires like any idiot after repalcing the axles cuz I broke both CV joints. It spun them hard all the way through first and then POW I heard it break (broke it w/ SOHC motor). The next time I broke it with the B6T after getting on it down a back road. Turned into the gas station...POW...the front end droped & shifted to the left, just like it broke a CV joint. It even clicked & poped like a broken CV joint. However both axles later I found out it was my nightmare come true AGAIN. Another broken diff.<p>I'd say either CV joints or Kinda sounds like it maybe a broken differential in your tranny. Does it sound like it comes from the sides or the center. If it comes from the sides it's CV joints. If it comes from the center it's the Diff in the tranny (means you need a new tranny). Have someone walk beside the car while you drive it SLOWLY in a SAFE area in all directions with the hood up so they can tell where the noise is.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
ravve

Post by ravve »

Thanx for your answer.. i also think it´s the diff. in the tranny since the mechanic man also told me that.. so i´m going to buy a new tranny now.. but it´s really hard to find a tranny for the MX-3, so I was wondering if you know some other car i can take a tranny from and use it in my MX3 4 cyl 16V SOHC... I heard it may bee possible to use ones from the 323 or a Civic? or is that wrong? What model on the 323 can i take a tranny from?<p>Thanx a lot!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”