Need Help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Zetgohan

Need Help!

Post by Zetgohan »

I beleive it's my catalytic converter but my car won't start, before that the power really died out around 3,000 rpm...<BR>before i go and cut the bolts off the rusted converter what do you guys think i should take a look at?
maldo

Re: Need Help!

Post by maldo »

First thing you need to do is use a descriptive topic instead of forcing us to open the post to see what it is about. ;) <P>If your cat is clogged it won't stop your car from starting. What sounds are being made when you turn it over? Checked for spark? All belts intact? It could be lots of things, you need to do some investigating and give more info.
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i heard a good way to test ur cat (car must start thou) was to leave it in neutral and gas it to about 4500 rpms then release the pedal if it slowly went down then ur cats starting to clog if not its fine is this tru?
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

No, it's not true. If your cat is cloged it will cause an increase in preasue everywhere between the engine and cat. This means the engine has to work harder to push gas out, wich will cause the RPMs to drop off faster than an uncloged cat. An emisions test will diagnose any severe problems with a catalytic converter.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Zetgohan

Post by Zetgohan »

turns out the seller of my car lied and never changed the timing belt. it was off by 7 teeth, the mechanic was dumbfounded how i drove it the past week
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

It sounds like the seller DID change the belt, but he did it wrong. There is no way the car would have come off the line with the belt off by 7 teeth.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

this has happened to me on many hondas. the tensioner wasn't properly torqued and the TB skipped a few teeth. That's how you were able to run for the past week.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”