Miata engine parts?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mistahmoogle

Miata engine parts?

Post by mistahmoogle »

Is it true that some Miata's come with the 1.6L DOHC that is found in the newer MX-3's? Can any Miata performance parts fit in the MX-3 1.6L DOHC at all? Just a thought.<P>Also, just out of curiosity, are there any good, fairly easy engine swaps for the 4-cyl out of US cars made 1995 and newer that will yield good performance and performance potential? Will any of the newer Protege engines fit easy? (1.8L or 2.0L?) Or any other Mazda engine for that matter? Anyone ever done any 4-cyl swap other than the GTX engine? Thanks for the help!
RanMan

Re: Miata engine parts?

Post by RanMan »

YES, some Miatas did come with a DOHC 1.6 engine. In fact, my friend had one recently (until a patch of ice took it away from him). His car had the same engine as my 94 MX-3 RS. The difference was that his engine was not transverse and was consequently a rear wheel drive. I dont know how many of you have driven a Miata, but they are a blast to drive. The car has the same power as the MX-3, but they are lighter, rear wheel drive, and come with a short-throw shifter. At any rate, I would like to think that any internal engine part would work (i.e.-cams, pistons, head). I saw somewhere that had a chrome valve cover for the Miata. I bet that it would probably fit the MX-3 just fine.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

My freind has a turbocharged '00 Miata...swweeeet ride, RWD, 6speed...<P>------------------<BR>~'94 GS
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

<A HREF="http://www.flyinmiata.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.flyinmiata.com</A> <P>there's a lot of performance parts for all the miatas including turbos and superchargers, also they sell the polished valve cover someone mentioned. It would be cool to find out wheter this parts could be swapable to the mx-3 engine, i think it would be a trial and error job, as they wont tell you, already asked a lot of questions, i was very interested in the link ecu they sell fot the miata, I just got a "we are experts on mx-5's not mx-3's" for an answer....<BR><P>------------------<BR>Alberto<BR>1993 Mx-3 1.6l Se<BR>Brilliant Black!
Alberto<BR>1993 Mx-3 1.6l Se<BR>Brilliant Black!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”