duratec 2.0 turbo motor into my new project mx3.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RedAutobotMX3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: duratec 2.0 turbo motor into my new project mx3.

Post by RedAutobotMX3 »

This sounds like a pretty sweet setup for a 4pot alternative.
seawulff
antispam: No

Post by seawulff »

update: so my plans are postponed a little cause it snowed balls here and i cant finish my other projects for a couple weeks till it stops. new news however, i have been looking at new tech on mazda and ford duratec motors and have come across a lot of bad a-- stuff. so im def going to use a direct injection head. the mazdaspeed3 has a disi head with intake vvt and they use it on a turbo set up. GREAT idea. even better however is the 2012 focus head with ti-vvt and direct injection. shitty part is that it is going to be a little bit before i can get a cylinder head without buying from the factory at supper high prices. (prob 4 months and ill be able to find something hopefully). until then i am going to drop in the 2.0 ford duratec motor. the new mazda3 has ti-vvt and disi but it is a skyactiv labeled motor and i am not sure if the block is still a duratec platform or not. the hp ratings on both are 160+ and fuel efficiency in the 40mpg range stock. should be interesting to see what i can find out. i am all about new technology and ford/mazda seems to be very on top of the market right now.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:power also has nothing to do with MPG. It all depends on how you drive your car and how well it's tuned.

You do know that you could get the same power out of a BP instead of dropping all this extra cash to do a one off.
I think that’s the point isnt it. Anyone can throw in a BP and turbo it, most common swap. But it’s just different and cool to have something that no one else has. Sure it costs a little extra cash but in the end its worth it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:Anyone can throw in a BP and turbo it, most common swap. But it’s just different and cool to have something that no one else has. Sure it costs a little extra cash but in the end its worth it.
If it ever happens...people like to talk big.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Josh wrote:Anyone can throw in a BP and turbo it, most common swap. But it’s just different and cool to have something that no one else has. Sure it costs a little extra cash but in the end its worth it.
If it ever happens...people like to talk big.
Yah like converting their car to AWD :shrug:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:Yah like converting their car to AWD :shrug:
How many, MANY people talk about it, and we've got, 1 person who've actually completed it? This is a project too that's mostly compatible with the Mx-3 chassis too.

People talk, very few start a valid attempt as such projects, and a small percentage actually complete it.

I know I sound pestimistic, but out of the countless people that have these ideas for non-conventional projects, out of them, we have 1 AWD's (plus 2 incomplete, one being abandoned) 1 FE3T and 1 Toyota 3sGTE.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I know I know that’s what happens when life gets in the way i guess. If my motor ever goes next step is a AWD FE3 MMOWAAHAHAHA; or perhaps a 2.3L millennia S motor swap in a GS. most just are not willing to put the work into it. That’s why i say keep it simple. honestly it amazes me how many don’t do the FE3 its such an easy swap.

oh well

-edit: correct motor size :)
Last edited by Josh on March 8th, 2011, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

what is a 3.0 milli S? aside from imaginary...

as soon as welding is involved, it bumps it out of 90% of people's leagues.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Ryan wrote:what is a 3.0 milli S? aside from imaginary...

as soon as welding is involved, it bumps it out of 90% of people's leagues.

sorry my bad, i meant the 2.3L, the 3.0 is out of the MPV Van. Another direct swap... for B2600's

210HP us model 230 Jspec model with Headers exhaust and a little fine tuning could be a mean machine in an MX's light weight frame.

And im not implying in any way that the Millennia S is a direct swap. It is just easier than most think but requires welding.
carizle

Post by carizle »

look forward to seeing this duratec/ mzr completed....pics pics and more pics!
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”