I'm wanting to paint my interior...help?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
rekognize

Re: I'm wanting to paint my interior...help?

Post by rekognize »

Euro visors are wrapped in the same material as the headliner, am I right?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Just be sure to use plastic specific paint.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

fowljesse wrote:Just be sure to use plastic specific paint.
i.e. Krylon Fusion
mx3-2nv

Post by mx3-2nv »

so if i get bored enough one i'm probably gonna do this, i think it will go good with my candy apple red paint job and red seat covers.
can somebody that has done this and did a good job give me like a step by step instructions on how to do this?
pictures would help too
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

It's pretty simple. What I did was take the plastics out, clean them as much as I could, scrub a bit with steel wool to get all the crap out and painted. Do really thin coats and let it dry a bit between coats. I used Krylon Fusion without any clearcoat or anything to protect it to paint the plastics on my ATV and it's held up through ice, snow, crashes, rocks and tree branches, it only came off where panels met and rubbed alot.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
s1zzl3

Post by s1zzl3 »

here this is my interior taken wit a crappy camera phone
but ill be gettin rid of yet sum more white and going back to stock black

wat i did was pull out the panels then remove any accesories ie vents, switches...
then cleaned the parts that will be painted (u can use soapy water or special wipes to get rid of the grease)
if u want sand them down wit 600 grit, as the 94s center console has a slight roughness to it, then wipe it down
next u apply the paint ie krylon fusion
do thin even coats for both colour and clear coat but make sure to wait at least 5 mins in between coats!
add as much clear coat as u want depending on how glossy u want it to look :D
remember thin coats is key... u dont have to completely cover it the first few coats!
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

i did pretty much the same as s1zzl3...washdown with soap/water...sand with 600..but what i did differently, was i then primed, sanded again, primed, then wetsanded with 1000 grit..the primer acted as a filler to smooth out the roughness of the stock dash..i then sprayed with a sray bomb i had whipped up at my local autobody supply shop..i gave them the paint code to match my exterior..i never used clear coat tho i probably should have,,but it still looks sweet :D
ImageImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I recommend Rubbing Alcohol for the final wipe, to eliminate any grease, or residue.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote:I recommend Rubbing Alcohol for the final wipe, to eliminate any grease, or residue.
yes this last step is the most important - or else the paint will not stick where your fingers have been :o

Return to “Appearance”