it's here...all new turbo kit for Sohc!!!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Ryencool

Re: it's here...all new turbo kit for Sohc!!!

Post by Ryencool »

find me a cheaper turbo kit, that is realiable, andh as more than this kit does. Also you cannot look on ebay...
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Do you guys realize this setup is dumping raw exhaust right under the motor or what??
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
maldo

Post by maldo »

ummm, yeah. The only difference between this kit and his Miata kit is that our dump tube under the engine and the miata version dumps along side the tranny. I don't see the big deal, there are many happy miata owners running Ric's X-kit or street kits and getting 300+whp with the TEC. Where else would you like him to dump the exhaust? Having re-enter the downpipe causes entirely different problems to appear. :shrug: <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> 2 grand is a lot for a turbo kit, especially one that is non-intercooled <hr></blockquote>
Clickhere, this is a base kit for the miata, good to about 6psi. The difference is that it offers an internally gated turbo, a very small T25. This is the most popular beginner kit for most Miata enthusiast, all of which had to at some point replace the manifold for reliability. If more power was sought, fuel, ignition, cooling, etc all had to be addressed...plus a new turbo had to be purchased. I don't know how much cheaper you guys want it.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

2 grand is decent for the kit, even though you'd still need more piping to put an intercooler on...and yea, the dump under the engine doesn't really interest me either...but anyways, it's more the question "do you want to spend 2 grand to make your SOHC be turbo?" You can prob buy a stock GS and have it be just as fast with an intake and exhaust.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

This kit would give you the potential to kill a gs. This kit gives people the opportunity to turbo there sohc easily, and as I see it, pretty cheap. I'm excited about this kit, I wouldn't mind picking up another rs for a beater and making a sleeper. If things go my way in the next few months, I might just do that. Thanks for the kit racing mazda, and thank God for people like Chris who have knowledge enough to stick up for something good like this. Thumbs up.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Killing a GS isn't really an accomplishment, they have 130HP stock..lol<p>The SOHC has 88, and this kit is supposed to give them a 15% increase, which would bring them to ~101 HP...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Some people just dont understand. Its step 1 of this project. You get that and then build onto it. Therefore there should be more kits coming out that push more power. Give it time, it doesnt happen over night. I think it is great to have the kit available. If I didnt have the BPT I would consider it.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3TT:
Some people just dont understand. Its step 1 of this project. You get that and then build onto it. Therefore there should be more kits coming out that push more power. Give it time, it doesnt happen over night. I think it is great to have the kit available. If I didnt have the BPT I would consider it.<hr></blockquote><p>I dont think no matter how many times you say it wont sink it.. I dont think it will click what stage 1 means.. <p>If/when there is a stage 2 i imagine everyone will whine about the price.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Im not whining about the price. i'm whining that this dumps exhaust under the car, has an unneeded external wastegate and no way to increase fuel. I dont care if there is a stage 2 million down the road- Most people are going to buy the stage one and be done. For that this kit as is right now doesnt do that well at all.<p>As far as putting the wastegate back into the exhaust what problems does that cause? 95% or more of the cars out there run the wastegate back into the exhaust. Who the hell wants to be sucking raw exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment? Never mind the noise it makes.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

I wasnt talking about you. You have a valid point with the wastegate situation. Its just that a lot of people wants aftermarket support and then when it comes along its not good enough for them. Again, I am not talking about you Tsi.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
maldo

Post by maldo »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> As far as putting the wastegate back into the exhaust what problems does that cause? 95% or more of the cars out there run the wastegate back into the exhaust. Who the hell wants to be sucking raw exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment? Never mind the noise it makes.<hr></blockquote><p>At low pressures it causes very little problems. An internal gate is prone to boost creep, externals are not. Due to the layout of the engine and the A/C compressor, it impossible to have a true 3" downpipe, therefore you will get boost creep. You can port the wastegate and you should be able to avoid creep below 16psi but not always. For the performance minded, an external gate is better as it offers better control, no creep and greater plumbing options. Internal gates are great for lower boost levels as they offer slightly higher simplicity. As far as the dump tube goes, where do the DSM guys running external gates vent their gases? Yes it can be louder than some would like but that would be personal preference. I highly doubt you would smell any fumes from the dump tube, it is not venting constantly and only vents a small amount of gases in comparison to an exhaust leak. Routing the dump tube back into the downpipe does cause turbulance in the exhaust stream, much like a poorly designed downpipe.<p>Tsimiata, by the sounds of it, this kit is not for you. Be happy that someone is making an effort to create new products for this car. I don't see Corksport making a turbo kit for all and they have been in the game longer than most. :shrug:
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bri94GS:
Killing a GS isn't really an accomplishment, they have 130HP stock..lol<p>The SOHC has 88, and this kit is supposed to give them a 15% increase, which would bring them to ~101 HP...<hr></blockquote><p>
Learn to READ:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 992mmx3:
This kit would give you the potential to kill a gs.<hr></blockquote><p>[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

well ive been reading...and i mean a turbo kit for the sohc would be nce. but since many people are looking for bigger gains wouldnt it just be better for an engine swap. 2k is alot of money for about15-20% power gain. yes its a start but you could also start of with a different motor. its just my .02$
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

You have trouble with internal gates because they are too small when you start flowing a lot of exhaust. Not specifically becasue they are internal. An external is better agreed. A good setup for an external gate is to tie it back into the exhaust a little bit away from the turbine outlet. Besides boost creep the other downside of the internal is that it disrupts exhaust flow out of the turbine. <p>The other bad part of the external gate on this kit I noticed is it is only venting exhaust from the first two cylinders. If you run an external gate it needs to be placed after all the cylinders have merged. It will work how it is but those first two cylinders are going to run completely different then the other two. Most likely leaner. Not a big deal at low boost. The way your talking though people are going to be running 20psi on these things and thats just not true. This is a beginner kit making 4psi.<p>As far as DSM's go- Not many people run externally gated DSM's. Of those even less just dump it under the car. If you look at most people they are running 16G's with an internal gate. I'm running a ported internal gate and 17psi on my Talon right now, No boost creep. On my recently sold RX-7 I ran an internal gate at 11psi and 245 wheel HP, no problems. Bottom line is internal gates work just fine for what 90% of the people are doing, and they cost less too.<p>What I'm trying to say here is drop the bells and whistles that aren't needed at this stage, add some fuel control and the kit will be better for the same price.

dancake

Post by dancake »

If I may add my 10p...<p>I drive a stock 1.8 V6. 15 horsepower to me would feel like a kick up the arse...and with room for future improvement it sounds like a brilliant buy. How many MX-3s are there on the road? not many...how many MX-3 turbos in my county? NONE!<p>Id love an MX-3 turbo. Its not all about the power. Its about the noise..the fun... actually I want one. Is any 24valve versions going to be in development?
MX-3 1.8 V6, 120000 miles. Aqua green metallic.My car domain page is here. http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=395842&page=2

Return to “Forced Induction”