Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Yoda

Re: Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

Post by Yoda »

This is very strange. When I tried bolting up the AWD hardware to the MX-3 every thing went in fine. The only issue found was the drive shaft length needed to be adjusted if I have actually decided to drop an engine into this insurance write off that was imported from the states in the yard at a friends business. I was given the BG AWD hardware a few years ago and we decided to see if it was really possible to mate the parts together. The only cutting I could see that would be necessary would be the access holes for the 2 fuel pumps in the AWD tank. My MX-3 hasn't been on the road much in about 2 years so I bolted the AWD axle assy under my car while I free up all the bolts on the original rear end to finally install the urethane bushing kit that been kicking around my place for several years.
Gro Harlem wrote:i didn't have a problem with what vaughn posted. I mainly was laughing at "klze-sized". Obviously you've never seen a JE removed from the 929...they are frickin enormous powertrains.

As for converting to AWD, its been discussed at least once before. The mx3 is not on the same chassis, it is on the same unibody as the BG familia/323/protege. The gas tank and most other stuff does bolt up but the AWD unibody is different as it allows room for the driveshaft and larger rear suspension beam (the fuel tank is also much smaller). Cutting will be required to get any of that to fit the mx3 as the floorpan is in the way in a few places. It isn't as easy as it sounds and IMVHO it isn't worth it.

It would be easier to buy an AWD protege and somehow bolt or weld the MX3 body to it than to swap the AWD suspension & drivetrain to an MX3 unibody.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”