Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mjlohman

Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

Post by mjlohman »

Does anybody know about this?

I talked to an avid MX-3 fanatic in Havre Montana, USA. He said there's a J-spec 3.0, with 310bhp, and the same dimensions as the KLZE that will adapt to the MX-3's motor bay the same way as the KLZE.

He said it's in the new 6's in Japan.

Is he telling the truth, and if he is; what kind of information is available about this engine?

Now for an off the wall question. Has anybody ever considered making their MX-3 All-Wheel Drive? How would you do it? I ask this because I live in an area that gets almost limitless snow once the snowing begins in the winter.
TsiMiata

Re: Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

Post by TsiMiata »

The new 6 engine is completely different. It will not bolt in like the KLZE. Not to say it won't fit. It would take custom work to make fit. IT won't be a straight bolt in like the ZE.

As far as 4 wheel drive goes... With a 4 cylinder you could bolt up a 323 gtx tranny. The 323 GTX rear end might bolt in. If any of it will actually work without tons of mods I have no idea. You could put another engine the back. LOTS of work, not impossible, just improbable.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Would our trannies and other K family series trannies like the 2.5L Probe trannies, work on the 3.0L KLZE?
Anyone know how much one of those 3.0L KLZE trannies cost?

<small>[ December 11, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by Juan's MX3:
Would our trannies and other K family series trannies like the 2.5L Probe trannies, work on the 3.0L KLZE?
There is no 3 Liter KL-ZE...

The dude above said it was KL-ZE SIZED.

Also-- I am going to call a BS on 310 HP. Thats more than an EVO or STI for crying out loud. Next year, Mazda will introduce the Mazdaspeed 6 which will have 270HP and be all-wheel drive. That may be the car/engine he was thinking of.

310HP?? I think not.

<small>[ December 11, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: atlantamx3 ]</small>
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by atlantamx3:
Originally posted by Juan's MX3:
There is no 3 Liter KL-ZE...

The dude above said it was KL-ZE SIZED.

Also-- I am going to call a BS on 310 HP. Thats more than an EVO or STI for crying out loud. Next year, Mazda will introduce the Mazdaspeed 6 which will have 270HP and be all-wheel drive. That may be the car/engine he was thinking of.

310HP?? I think not.
Oh. Will the new Mazdaspeed 6 engine be in the K series family? Anyone know more about the Mazdaspeed 6? Like will the AWD trannies on the Mazdaspeed 6 work on our engine (KL-ZE, K8, ect)?

<small>[ December 11, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

NO, and NO.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The v6 in the Mazda 6 is a Ford Duratec engine with a Mazda head...it's the same 3.0l v6 found in the Mazda Tribute and my parents Ford Escape.

If it's possible, maybe...check out this 3.0L Duratec Miata

http://www.miata.net/news/v6.html

<small>[ December 11, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The Mazdaspeed 6 will be a turbo 4 CYLINDER .
Taras

Post by Taras »

The Mazdaspeed Mazda6 will have a 2.3L 4cyl engine turboed with an AWD. Will it fit into an Mx-3? If you have the money. But will be much easier to take Mazda3 and drop that in it and then take VolvoS40 AWD drivetrain and bolt that up to the 3.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

hmmm... That mazdaspeed 6 sounds like it would be a fun car.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yah, I'm pretty impressed with mazdaspeed. Anybody know when the 6 is comming out?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok..whats this i get from some probe magazine..that the taurus 3.0 sohc fits a probe gt aka sorta mx3? I told him i bet that engine if it would fit it would have around 150 - 160 hp. that he would be better of with a klze.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mjlohman

Post by mjlohman »

Wow!

Thanks folks!

I looked up a few things about the MazdaSpeed 6 AWD 2.3 turbo. It's due as a 2006 model with 274 horsepower and I forgot how much torque. Looks like it's targeting the 2.5 turboed Legacy. That will be a tough contest.

Now, imagine if they'd put that engine into a Mazda 3 with AWD, yeehah!

I wish they'd re-release the MX-3 with that setup!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

First off the Altenza (Mazda 6) is only availilable in Japan with either the 2.0 or 2.3L L series (Ford Duratec) engines. The V-6 in the North American spec 6 is the same Ford Duratec V-6 as in the Ford Taurus SEL with the Mazda S-vt system bolted on. This engine is physically bigger that the K series but not as big the 3.0L JE-ZE

Converting the MX-3 to AWD is relativily easy. Since the MX-3 is built on the 323 hatchback chassis the rear end and gas tank from a '90-91 Protege is a bolt-in. On some of the MX-3 (usually mid '93)the hard points to bolt the center steady bearings are in place. Tranny are not problem either as the 323 came with AWD and car with the KL-ZE were made in AWD as well. Around here there are about 6 or 7 JDM engine imports in town and they get at least one of the AWD tranny on a KL-ZE in each consignment. Since there is no demand for them they go in the big blue bin. The only difficulty is to wire up the center diff. servo, cutting the floor for the both fuel pumps and wire the the transfer pump so that it is not running continously. Also the AWD on the KL-ZE you will need the ECU and tranny control module.

Originally posted by mjlohman:
Does anybody know about this?

I talked to an avid MX-3 fanatic in Havre Montana, USA. He said there's a J-spec 3.0, with 310bhp, and the same dimensions as the KLZE that will adapt to the MX-3's motor bay the same way as the KLZE.

He said it's in the new 6's in Japan.

Is he telling the truth, and if he is; what kind of information is available about this engine?

Now for an off the wall question. Has anybody ever considered making their MX-3 All-Wheel Drive? How would you do it? I ask this because I live in an area that gets almost limitless snow once the snowing begins in the winter.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The (gen1) Probe LX was sold with the Ford Vulcan 3.0L SOHC. The Vulcan was also the base of the Yamaha 3.0L DOHC was built around. I know of at least one Yamaha swapped into a '91 Probe LX. The last time I saw this car was back in '99-'00
Originally posted by hgallegos915:
ok..whats this i get from some probe magazine..that the taurus 3.0 sohc fits a probe gt aka sorta mx3? I told him i bet that engine if it would fit it would have around 150 - 160 hp. that he would be better of with a klze.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”