What oil are you using???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: What oil are you using???

Post by Daninski »

Ya, well just remember the last time you Argentinians got upidy,,,you got your a--*s handed to you in the Falklands. Nuff said. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

When did all of this happen? I must have missed it whilst sipping wine under my clay tile roof. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
benyandthejets
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by benyandthejets »

Just changed my oil. Used Mobil 1 Synthetic. Pretty expensive stuff but autozone has a 10$ off coupon(if you buy 5 qts, which we need to w/ 4.2qts capacity) which is essentially 1 qt free. Everything running good so far, but I'd be lying if I noticed any difference from the gtx half syn stuff I was running before. And I got a bosch filter.
93 Blaze Red GS
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

You're not gonna notice a difference. Your engine will.

But you would've noticed a difference if you had used ProLong. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Ok found my 1992 mx-3 manual :)

5w-30 for cold months and 10w-30 for the hot months... They also only call for 7.5k oil changes... That was all the way back in 92 with conventional oil recommend not a syn.

I think I am going to go to Menards and grab some Quaker state 10w-30 syn mixture it is a gen III oil, I hear good things about the oil for the price(I can basically get 7 quarts of that stuff for like $20, thats 2 oil changes for my SOHC). Also going to go with a Quaker state oil filter, they are purolator made and great filters for a car I am not going to be driving the snot out of.

A lot of castol fans here... Is that cuz mazda endorses castol for there cars or just a fluke.

Thanks for the feedback on what you guys are using in these great engines, helped me make my choice on what I was going to use!
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:You're not gonna notice a difference. Your engine will.

But you would've noticed a difference if you had used ProLong. :shrug:
I'm pretty cautious about using oil additives. You would think if they were as good as they claim to be, manufacturers would recommend them or they would be more widespread.
93 Blaze Red GS
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

benyandthejets wrote: I'm pretty cautious about using oil additives. You would think if they were as good as they claim to be, manufacturers would recommend them or they would be more widespread.
I've used this one for years, and I've opened a B8 after using it on it for almost 100K miles (bought the car with 88K, and junked it with 175K) and all the engine's clearances were within factory specs, and the honing marks were still perfect. That to me says good stuff.
Besides that, they guarantee your engine in writing for LIFE. How many manufacturers do that?
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
benyandthejets wrote: I'm pretty cautious about using oil additives. You would think if they were as good as they claim to be, manufacturers would recommend them or they would be more widespread.
I've used this one for years, and I've opened a B8 after using it on it for almost 100K miles (bought the car with 88K, and junked it with 175K) and all the engine's clearances were within factory specs, and the honing marks were still perfect. That to me says good stuff.
Besides that, they guarantee your engine in writing for LIFE. How many manufacturers do that?
Only problem I know of is foaming caused by some additives,,Lucas for one and foam means air and that's not good. Anyway here's the advertising science behind additives. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyUL3pkngQ
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Hardly a conclusive test, without looking before hand or testing it on a bunch of engines its hard to say.
I'm not saying they definitely don't work, but I think I'll stick with normal oil.
93 Blaze Red GS
red sin

Post by red sin »

OEM 10w40

Works perfectly
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

Sleeper6 wrote:I use the slippery kind :lol:

Vegetable oil. lol :lol:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

I remember I used royal purple for two years and the cams started ticking and also happened to my friends mx also used it the same amount of time I did I recommend using castrol oil recommend by oe manufacturer and iv used that oil since and never had an issue also lucas oil treatment is good also .
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”