What oil are you using???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Surgeonasst222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

What oil are you using???

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

As of right now I don't even know what is recommend in my mx-3... My new mazda 3 skyactive take 0w-20 with moly! I buy it straight from mazda for a great deal and OEM filters as well! Not that I have had my car long enough to even come close to a oil change.

I guess I am say what do you guys put in your mx-3's? I am not even sure what is OEM for our cars? Really is putting in OEM a good idea anyway with how far oil has come in over 15 years?
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: What oil are you using???

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

It's really up to you.

The weight you should be using is 10w30, or 5w30 if you're in the cold.
After that, you could use a good conventional oil, like Castrol gtx, and call it a day, or, if you really want to go the extra mile (or if your car asks for it, in the sense that it has a lot of miles, for example), you can go for synthetic, like Mobil 1.
Then, if you REALLY want to go big, I'd recommend a good additive, like ProLong or Z-Max (ProLong is only for the oil, Z-Max comes in 2 bottles: one for the oil, and an injector cleaaner).

So that's about it. Holler if you have any doubts. :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Not that the post above wasn't good, but I was hopeing for more of a collection of what everyone was using here and what is OEM for our cars...
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

There is no OEM brand. I use royal purple myself. On my K8 i had no HLA tick after using it. On my KL i wouldnt know becuase i have the WORST cam gear tick. As far as weight what endoro said is optimal.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

On my b6 I used 5w30 conventional, usually Castrol GTX. I've messed around with a few other brands, regular castrol and a few other ones and I noticed that when I did my 5k oil change the oil would be cleaner(minus the first time I used it, where I ran some of that oil cleaner stuff) and that my highway cruising mileage was a bit better(550km to a tank to about 575km to a tank).
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

I use 5w30 Castrol GTX conventional too in my KLZE V6 and always use purulator filter... :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I use castrol full synthetic in my ZE. I have about 65,000km on it and it doesn't burn a drop.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

I wouldn't recommend changing over to synthetic if you've been running
conventional oil for the last how ever many 100k's it's been running it.

here's some video's that don't go into scientific details but makes really good points. (watch both)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshd7WR-a6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEBI1QndPo

Oh and I've been running full synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 in my BP, the previous owner also used it since he rebuilt the engine as well.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I typically go with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, 5w30 in the cold months, and 10w30 in the warm.
5w30 is less likely to tap on cold starts, but both should be tap free after a good warmup.
I'm a huge fan of the "15,000 mile guarantee" stuff, which I usually change at 5-7,000 with good results. At 5,000 it usually comes out looking just as it went in...

If I am tight on money, I sometimes use Castrol full synthetic, as I can pick it up for WAAAY less than the Mobil 1 at a place downtown.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Castrol GTX is just fine and would recommend over Mobil 1 full syn (I used to run this).

I run Amsoil.
Inodoro Pereyra

Evo_Spec wrote: here's some video's that don't go into scientific details but makes really good points. (watch both)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshd7WR-a6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEBI1QndPo

Yeah.
I'm just gonna make a little bitty comment about the information on those videos:

It's BU11SH!T.

1. It's true that viscosity and flow rate are not the same. KINEMATIC viscosity (which is the kind of viscosity we're talking about here) is the FLOW RATE of a liquid (in this case) through a given opening, under specific circumstances. So, no, if two different oils have the same viscosities, and are operating under the same conditions, one will NOT flow through a crack the other one wouldn't.

2. It's true if you switch to synthetic your engine may get noisy. But that has NOTHING to do with the flow characteristics of either oil. That's because your engine is worn out, and some surfaces were caked over with burnt conventional oil. When you switched to synthetic, which has a much higher detergency than conventional oil, those deposits are washed away, and the engine starts making noise. What you should do is FIX THE ENGINE, instead of covering up the noise with bad oil, and keep living in a dream world, Neo.

3. It's also true that upon switching to synthetic your engine might spring a leaak it didn't show before. But the reason is the same as before: because of the much higher detergent content and quaality in synthetic oils, the leak that WAS THERE BEFORE, but was plugged by crap, now is clean and open. Again, the solution is to fix the problem, not to ignore it.

So that's MY opinion. Same as this guy, I'm not an expert. I'm also talking from personal experience.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I use the slippery kind :lol:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I used QuakerState synthetic pretty much for the life of my ZE (102k kms)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I use to use Bear Oil but the car felt very sluggish in the winter months :roll: I used amsoil and found I was getting over 50kms more per tank. Now I buy what ever synthetic is on sale. Got Pennzoil synthetic 10w 30 for $19 bucks for 4.8 liters at Wally world.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Inodoro Pereyra

Hey, old man! I see the nurses at the geezer home finally let you use a computer... :lol: :lol:
Daninski wrote:I use to use Bear Oil but the car felt very sluggish in the winter months :roll:
We're not talking about your Model "T" here... :shrug:

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”