STS Rear Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
onlytrueromeo

Re: STS Rear Turbo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I brought this topic up on probetalk a few months ago and basically got shut down/ridiculed by everyone but 1...but they're a different group of people.

I am still debating trying this when I get to that stage. The ONLY thing I am concerned about is the intake location.

My mx3 I am rebuilding will not only be an occasional weekend track car, but a daily driver. Ultimate power is not my goal, but I do not want to limit myself on power/usability either.

Since our cars are so low, we would NEED to run both pipes through the exhaust tunnel. I think the only hangup here is by the shifter. BTW our rear windshield washer dropdown is the perfect location for an oil reserve/tank. I believe there is already a hole drilled and capped with a rubber cap too (just haven't removed the cap I found).
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

MrMazda92 wrote:
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote: and fewer components to break. :P
How I see it, you have more components to break. You'd need the same components and the addition of an external oil pump. All these are under the car exposed to the conditions of the road.
This would remove the need for headers + intercooler(assuming low boost) and would save a bit, although I'll give you the oil pump on that one. Didn't consider that when I wrote that.
Ya, turbo mani's don't fail often (pending on quality) and neither do intercoolers. Electronics are way more likely to fail.
And true, you don't have a header style of turbo mani... you do still have welding to do to tap into the exhaust stream... So you really could say you still have a turbo manifold. Why would you not have an intercooler? I understand that you don't NEED it on a low boost aplication - but cooler is always better, esp if your turbo outlet is running along side the exhaust.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The intake piping from the turbo to the intake is goign to be the length of the car. As long as it is not right beside the exhaust the whole way it's going to act like anintercooler, cooling the charge as it travels up to the engine compartment. Higher boost applications do still use an intercooler though.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Ya, turbo mani's don't fail often (pending on quality) and neither do intercoolers. Electronics are way more likely to fail.
And true, you don't have a header style of turbo mani... you do still have welding to do to tap into the exhaust stream... So you really could say you still have a turbo manifold. Why would you not have an intercooler? I understand that you don't NEED it on a low boost aplication - but cooler is always better, esp if your turbo outlet is running along side the exhaust.
I mentioned the lack of i/c in a hypothetical scenario, I wouldn't bother boosting unless I wanted large gains.
Agreed, I'd run one either way, I don't like overheating anything... Even if it's "tolerable".
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

not to bring up an old post but i was catching up. That and there is to much positave feed back on this :)

i would only use this on a truck as there are many places to hide it. Is it a reliable way to make power, Sure; do people cut off catalectic converters off in the middle of the night, defiantly. So what’s to stop them from taking this. I for one want to keep my 1200 dollar Turbo and 300 dollar waist gate under the hood. where it wont get stolen (as easily) and where it wont get beet to hell from rocks, rain, and all the debris that can come from the roads at least here in WA. Not to mention the extra piping, Their may not be any lag but you lose boost PSI. it takes more pressure to push it through all that pipe. you could be running your turbo at 10psi (at the turbo) but with that long run you would be luck to see 5 to 7 realistically at the motor.

On the flip side I have heard that they do run cooler, and are fairly reliable, and good for that little extra HP. I would be more apt to run this on a GS for sure. would defiantly be interested to see what comes out of it.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

First of all, I don't think people are looking for turbos under cars yet, and I dare them to steal it without jacking it up. I can't get my shoulders under my car flat on the ground, good luck getting a hacksaw going under there.

This is why they get stolen off of trucks and SUV's, not ricers like us. Plus, our cats are old and worthless by now, we aren't even targets.

It would not be difficult to mock up some sort of debris shield. Plus, the turbo itself is super durable, water or stones hitting the casing would not hurt it in the slightest. Just ask Garrett.

Also, I doubt you'd see any more lag than a FMIC setup. You may not even have to run an intercooler at all with the length of piping. I wouldn't consider loosing PSI as any more of an issue on this setup than any other intercooled setup. Correctly sizing your piping is crucial, of course.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

seen a couple of these now, one
on a peugeot 205, works well!
(its on a track only car)
The whole concept really though is, if you cant fit
a turbo in your existing engine bay or a
turbo manifold is basically too expensive
to manufacture for your given vehicle.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the car thieves i knew tend to target specific vehicles and use jacks then leave your car on garden blocks in your driveway. it was just an example, that if people are willing to steal your CAT then they will steal this. and with no muffler after the turbo you will get plenty of noise and like most with a turbo they like to show it off, because sound is everything.

Running this setup does run cooler but a normal turbo setup with a FMIC is going to bring cooler air to the intake than this set up. and on average a FMIC only reduces manifold pressure by 1psi.

I like the idea i was just playing devils advocate, it makes perfect sence on a GS.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't live in the part of the world where people steal your s---. I leave my keys in my car at home, and my house unlocked overnight. People around here are good enough to go curb stomp some bastards testicles if he's suspiciously dismantling a car in a parking lot.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ryan wrote:I don't live in the part of the world where people steal your s---. I leave my keys in my car at home, and my house unlocked overnight. People around here are good enough to go curb stomp some bastards testicles if he's suspiciously dismantling a car in a parking lot.
Thats good in all, but all it takes is one roadtrip and parking in a bad spot overnight. Ive had my poor car broken into twice, once right outside the window. So Ild have to side with josh, leave it under the hood, its not worth the extra expense to place it in an easier spot to steal/get damaged. But from an engineering aspect... I think its an amazing idea.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

heres that one I menetioned

http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/main ... roject+Car

scroll to the bottom for the remote mount turbo.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I still hate this topic. I highly doubt we have the clearance under our cars to even install one of these.
Josh wrote:and with no muffler after the turbo you will get plenty of noise and like most with a turbo they like to show it off
Not true, many rear turbo setups (eg corvette) do not come with mufflers. They do not require them because the turbo will muffle the engine/exhaust note.
I like the fact that people are thinking out of the box, and I am a big fan of turbos. I just think we've proven time and time again the ability to do this in an engine bay.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well it's not that it can't be done int he engine bay....the ability to turbo the car without special hot piping is a big plus. Lots of extra cold piping, but that's cheaper and easier to do than a custom exhaust manifold and modifying the crossmember.

It's a totally sound idea.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Still not a fan, but that's thoughts, but I'd just be curious to go the extra mile and put fins on the pipe leading back to the intake; work as a radiator fins and using the air passing by from under the car to help pull the heat away.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
john1983

Post by john1983 »

i dont have experience with turbo just yet but i think this remote mount seems like a real good option but wouldnt you also have to run pipe to the front for the air intake or would you also mount the filter in a box somewhere under the car and the air flowing under the car may cool the pipes but i feel that it wouldnt cool to much like for instance what about a day when its like 100 degrees out
92 MX-3 6cyl dohc 24 valve K8 cold air filter custom exhaust drift body kit carbon fiber hood 17" focal rims Kenwood KDC-MP635 headunit Pioneer 6.5" componet door speakers and 4" rear speakers 500 watt boss amp powering 12" sony explod
My Work Logviewtopic.php?f=46&t=76603

Return to “Forced Induction”