Blinkers Turn on When Turning Steering Wheel :(

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
onlytrueromeo

Re: Blinkers Turn on When Turning Steering Wheel :(

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You don't want to shave them so they get shorter (meaning dont shave the ends that you circled) you want to shave the side that faces towards the dash, meaning the side you can't see that's underneath.

The tabs themselves turn off the blinkers when you turn the wheel back to its original position, but making them "thinner" prevents them from binding on the other components. The problem with my steering wheel was that when I tightened the wheel on, there was too much pressure and it compressed the whole white piece too much. If this doesn't explain it well enough, I can try to open one of the photo's in paint and draw circles to explain.
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

:idea: Ok I get it the backside of what is shown in the picture is the problem! :oops: Thanks because the auto signals are getting annoying!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ya, I don't know why it happens. Mine started randomly. My guess is that pieces get old, and what did not compress before does so now.

The white piece isn't so hard to get off. I used a file/rasp then some sandpaper to clean it up. I even rounded the edges of it so it wouldn't clip the piece if it ever got compressed that much again.

My advice is to take the cover off the wheel (if you have an airbag, disconnect the battery first) and pull things off so you can see what I'm talking about. Push the white piece in hard and turn it, it will catch on one of the components below it and turn the blinker on...it's not supposed to do this. Shaving the piece will work to stop this.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Check your blinker fluid make sure it's not overheating. If you have to you can use a higher viscosity fluid, but it can be detrimental to overall blinker performance.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

wytbishop wrote:Check your blinker fluid make sure it's not overheating. If you have to you can use a higher viscosity fluid, but it can be detrimental to overall blinker performance.
I already did that when I rotated my wipers! :lol:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Nah you're forgetting the best mods...cross drilled brake lines.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

How the heck is that going to help him with his blinkers?

Try to stay focused John.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

Not near as good as what happened to me the other night when a former girlfriend called me up at 2 am because her car died at the local convenience store. I finally get up and around and drag myself up there with my tools and her dad is already there. (he hates my ever loving guts because he thinks i took her v card but I was so not first in line on that one!) He basically tells me I don't know s--- and to stay out of his way while he fixes her car with his pathetic 21 piece tool kit he probably got as a bad Christmas present! So I stand back and watch for about a little over an hour while he bangs on the battery, distributor, alternator, and anything else he can hit with his crappy off brand 3/8 wrench. Finally I tell his daughter to get out of the car and I get in. I put it from reverse to park, start it up, laugh at the old man while giving him the finger and get back in my car and leave! Most hilarious night of my life!

p.s. she was true blonde!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”