I GOT IT

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: I GOT IT

Post by cjthor »

impact gun and impact 6 point 14mm socket FTW!!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

RX8SE3P wrote:I was not too impressed and still am not. But I don't have the correct ECU yet (which i heard makes the biggest difference to the car). The car pulls harder down low compared with the K8, I have not revved past 3000 yet.

Don't rape the engine until you run it for a few hundred miles and put some good oil in.

Finding a good engine is one of the best things to do. A beat up ZE can sometimes make as much power as a half decent DE. Sometimes a good idea is to rebuild a DE (easy to get parts for) and the car will still be awesomely fast compared to the torqueless K8.
bahahaha, well theres your problem. The power band doesn't even start till 4500rpm.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Ok I admit I did go to about 5,500 on one short burst but I did not feel any extra surge of power. It felt flat all the way. Still have to make sure a few more things are ok though before I judge it.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

RX8SE3P wrote:Ok I admit I did go to about 5,500 on one short burst but I did not feel any extra surge of power. It felt flat all the way. Still have to make sure a few more things are ok though before I judge it.

Are you running a stock exhuast, intake, headers? Just opening up the exhaust may release more of that power.... If not, check for vac leaks and/or look into megasquirt. Some things to try if you haven't already :welder:
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

mazdags94 wrote:
RX8SE3P wrote:Ok I admit I did go to about 5,500 on one short burst but I did not feel any extra surge of power. It felt flat all the way. Still have to make sure a few more things are ok though before I judge it.

Are you running a stock exhuast, intake, headers? Just opening up the exhaust may release more of that power.... If not, check for vac leaks and/or look into megasquirt. Some things to try if you haven't already :welder:
It's a 2.25 inch exhaust straight thru the catback (not cat). But that's all I got. My exhaust sounds farty and weak compared to my KLDE MX6 which sounds absolutely awesome.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

With just a catback system, you're still getting restriction in air flow from the headers to the cat, then it goes to 2.25. If you upgraded the headers and a high flow cat or test pipe (depending on emissions in your area) that should really open up her breathing. Not too large of a diameter though, you want a nice vacuum to move the exhaust out efficiently. There are also some easy ways to upgrade your intake as well on this forum. There's a "how-to" on here that I used and it really turned out nice.

Good luck.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I might be leaving the intake stock for now but adding a K&N filter at some stage. Dunno if that will even increase power at all but K&N is better than the paper filter in there at the moment lol.

I'll set my TPS once the fan problem has been solved. I heard that the TPS can make a fair difference so I might have to much around with that for a while.

Also need to drop in some synthetic oil or semi synthetic, something thinner that's for sure. Currently just running some cheap Mobile 1000 oil (20W50) for a few hundred kms and going soft on the engine.

I might consider headers once I'm satisfied everything else is ok. I also want to dyno it too, see what power I'm making before adding headers. I like before and after stuff :)
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

cjthor wrote:impact gun and impact 6 point 14mm socket FTW!!!
i agree put a gun on it.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

i busted my a-- tryin to take it off by hand and i got it off with the impact gun in a split second, gotta love them lol
Jazzylay20
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Jazzylay20 »

Hey if i'm removing the flywheel, if it moves can i mess up the timing? or being that everything i connected it should stay the same?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Jazzylay20 wrote:Hey if i'm removing the flywheel, if it moves can i mess up the timing? or being that everything i connected it should stay the same?
Suggest you start your own post you"ll get more help that way.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

Well my first ZE test run was disasterous cause it jumped the timing and then a bearing spun. My next ZE engine testrun was awesome...scuffing the tires going into 3rd.

I used 2 ratchets to take my flywheel off, a 1/2" with a shallow socket set to tighten and a 3/8" with a deep socket set to loosen. I got 3 loose with no problems, on the 4th the deep socket slipped off of the bolt and I punched myself in the bridge of my nose with the ratchet. I bled pretty good...A bump remained for 8+ months, my advice would be to use 2 shallow sockets hahaha. but I managed to get them all loose with no other problems.

I did another test with my ignition timing and set it back to 16 degrees BTDC....took it for a test drive and it ran like absolute crap!! Set it 11 degrees BTDC and its got sooo much more get up and go. if your power is running flat, maybe try changing your ignition timing? its night and day for me. I'm running bosch +4's and regular gas, however when I ran a tank of premium through it a while ago it was running really crappy too for some reason, bad gas maybe?
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”