What kind of trans Fuild?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

clarify this.... Why in the shop manual does it say to use atf for an all round season oil in your 5spd transmission.??

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

i know i've had both atf and mtf in my tranny
i had thought i made a mistake with the atf but apparently i did read things right
i know recently i read our trannies can take either
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
hharb

Post by hharb »

when i changed my tranny oil they did mix both atf and mtf :S
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

just to clarify, i did not have both in there at the same time.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
hharb

Post by hharb »

i've heard from many ppl (not necessarily mxers) that they do have a mix of both atf and mtf in their transmissions. with the little knowledge i have, i honestly dont think having some atf in an mx3 would kill the transmission. so are you guys sure that the owner manual says that you should use atf in mx3s?
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

JWMotorsports wrote:400+WHP for way over 10,000miles on a open diff 5-spd Pro LX tanny.

I use Lucas 80w-90 Gear Oil with one bottle of Lucas Transfix...thats what has held it together. The trans in the car now has a Mazdaspeed LSD with the same Lucas lubes. And yes I've pounded the CRAP out the gears...current setup it makine 500+HP @ 26psi on pump gas.

I've used Redline MT-90, Redline 75w-90, Redline Shock Proof w/ MT-90, Valvoline Durablend 75w-90, Costal 75w-90, Mobil 1 75w-90, ATF...blahh, blahh, blahh. I've broken trannies on all the above EXCEPT with the Lucas mix.

It's your tanny...use what you want :lol:
I think I'm gonna go with the lucas... :lol:
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

JWMotorsports wrote:400+WHP for way over 10,000miles on a open diff 5-spd Pro LX tanny.

I use Lucas 80w-90 Gear Oil with one bottle of Lucas Transfix...thats what has held it together. The trans in the car now has a Mazdaspeed LSD with the same Lucas lubes. And yes I've pounded the CRAP out the gears...current setup it makine 500+HP @ 26psi on pump gas.

I've used Redline MT-90, Redline 75w-90, Redline Shock Proof w/ MT-90, Valvoline Durablend 75w-90, Costal 75w-90, Mobil 1 75w-90, ATF...blahh, blahh, blahh. I've broken trannies on all the above EXCEPT with the Lucas mix.

It's your tanny...use what you want :lol:
I tried your formula and it killed my mpg :lol:
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

It seems to working fine for me... I don't use my MX-3 as a daily driver so mpg is not a concern. I haven't noticed anything but sure shifts and it reduced the tranny noise that I had prior to using this stuff. Nothing but benefits. :)
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Transmissions”