0-60 and shift times

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Tunes67 wrote:3 1
--------
--------
4 2

If thats your firing order.. assuming thats representing the 4 corners of your distributor cap.. then it looks like your distributor or firing order are 90 degrees off.. at least according to the diagram below found on page G-29 of the online manual.

You should be seeing

1 2
--------
--------
3 4

Cheers

Tunes67
3 1
--------
--------
4 2

is the correct order - the manual is wrong on that one. Chiltons shows the correct order.

Bumpy - Have you tried blocking of EGR?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Very possible. Still take pics of the cam gears and line up the timing mark on the crank pulley when you do so. That will tell me a lot.

As for my GS... No race engine yet.. the K8 is still young.. I am converting the car from ATX to MTX and I am prepping it for paint as I go. Also the drivers fender is off as well as the drivers door (got new ones). Currently I am stripping everything off the firewall so I can paint the entire engine bay black. The car will eventually end up charcoal grey with a gold metal flake and bronze Konig Helium rims. Eventually I will add a 94 Can GS spoiler, rear mudflaps and fade mirror tinting. Then I get to start on the interior ;) Once all this is complete.. I will be selling my RS and buying a KLDE to build for the GS when the K8 finally gives up the ghost (or whenever the DE is complete). Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya thats what i thought cuz if u put them in 1 2

3 4
it wont even start. ima take some pics right after the engine cools off so i can jack her up LOl :wink: how do u block off the EGR?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Bumpysbro wrote:haha lucky, are u doing a full race engine for ur gs? hey if the disty is 90 degrees off and it runs, then the valve timing is off by the same right? thats why it runs like crap when u put the plug wires on diff.
if its 90 degrees off and it sill runs, it should run backwards no?

lol j/k

i still think one of your cams is off by 1 tooth. dont forget, i could just be one cam, not both of them.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I think the easiest way to block egr is disconnect the egr pipe from the exhaust manifold and put some kind of blockage in the pipe (like put small piece of paint can lid or something like that) and connect it back again. That way you dont have to mess with the electrical stuff and no exhaust gas will get into the intake...

Also check the vaccum lines going to the FPR - it might be possible that you have reversed them or connected them wrong. I am running with a direct vaccum line from manifold to the FPR and its working fine.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

on that note, did you reverse your fuel lines by accadent?

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

thats what i thought i did, but i checked em and their right...hmm ill try that and see what happens. i took some pics of the cams and the gears.

http://img334.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ew3ap2.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ng2yp3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/ ... o/cams.jpg

here are some pics, as u can see both intake and exhaust cam are on E. but if we used the intake on I the 4th piston would be TDC. with intake on E #1 cylinder is is TDC and the process seems to be right. does this help tunes? i couldnt get any pics of the crank pulley cuz the camera was to big to get in there lol, but the pulley boss was right straight up and is timed by my eyes. ill check the FPR hoses aries and see what happens. thnx guys
Jon
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i tried reversing the FPR lines today and made no difference. shouldnt it run worse?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok its hard to see in your pics.. but if both your cam gears timing marks are E's pointing down towards the center of your engine.. then your Exaust cam is incorrect. Oddly enough.. according to my shop manual.. your exaust cam should have the I pointing downward and towards the center of your engine. The I should be pointing straight up on the top of the intake cam and the E should be pointing straight up on the exaust cam. The pic in the online shop manual isnt a very good scan.. I will take the page with me from my shop manual too work with me in the morning and scan the pic I have so you can visually see what I am talking about. But from those pics.. your exaust cam is incorrect.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Cy

Post by Cy »

1.1 light.
shift @ redline every gear
got to the end of the Track in 17.1
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

how fast were you going when u hit the end of the track? was it a 1/4 mile?
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

i ran a 17.3 shifting at redline. i was at 76 mph and i shifted out of 3rd at exactly the same time i crossed the line.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

wow thats krazy, my car cant even reach 76 in 5th lol

well ripped her apart today, redid the timing just like u said tunes and bam wont start. put the intake cam on E and the Exhaust cam on I. so i dunno whats up with it, it runs if the exhaust cam on E but it wont on I. the marks are all lined up right and everything is pluged in so i dunno haha. ima take her apart again tomorrow too tired tonight.
Cy

Post by Cy »

track day @ the Miramichi:
I have no interior paneling, no rear seat, no spair tire, no carpet, no center console and i did have a passenger seat...
I ran 14" winter tires @ 10psi and I had only my trunk battery installed (i use both front and trunk normally)

I ran consistant 17.2 - 17.35 all day....no tuning.. just havin fun :D

RT 1.156
60ft 2.646
330ft 7.277
Mid mph 64.10
660ft 11.103
990ft 14.286
MPH 79.64
ET 17.175

i'd just be shifting into 4th just before the line, just like he did...

That's my best ET my best mph was 80.06 but I ran a 17.311
Cy

Post by Cy »

this kinda had to be another post...

When i do an oil change i take of the valve cover just to inspect the cams and stuff for anything odd... Well bout a week ago (just before i went to the strip) was the first time I had to change the oil in the mx-3... so i pulled off the cover and lone behold my exhaust cam is like 5 teeth advanced... FUN STUFF...

So i had to retime the motor which i've never EVER done.. on any motor...
Just a quick FYI...if you have 2 people... you only need to take off down 2 the 2nd timing belt shield and loosen the belt tensioner..

Then i just used 2 rachets to hold the cams in place while my friend slipped the belt on...

I'm running +1 degree on the crank and +1 tooth on both cams so i'm like 3 degrees retarded...on a bone stock N/A engine

The power of that configuration is nice.. it's not top heavy but there's definetly power up there..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”