Small B6 rods limits...she finally threw a rod!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Holy F*ck.
Good job :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Today I finally had time to pull the engine out. I broke the back side of the block out as well and the piston was still at TDC after combustion. I got lucky and none of the valves were bent. The top part of the rod broke CLEAN in half just below the wrist pin. It broke so clean it looks like it was cut with a saw!!!

Final Conclusion.....

-Snaped the top of the rod like a tooth pick first
-broken rod broke out the back and front of the block
-rod bolt broke under stress from above mentioned
-what was left of the rod was ejected through the bottom of the oil pan

Stock B6 rods will not hold 400WHP for a really long time even with the rod bolts swaped out for ARP's. I'd say 300-350WHP they'd hold for a decent while. The raised outer face of the piston was still clean aluminum (no carbon) with only heat marks in it!!! Absolutely NO detination present in the engine...no pits in the pistons and no signs of detination on the spark plug either...electrode was still white even after a couple thousand miles of driving and the final failure! I just pushed the rod to its mechanical limit.

I'm hoping to have the car running by Monday evening. The only thing is I'll have to put the open diff. trans back in w/ the pro-lx axles as the stub shaft I have for the LSD doesn't work with the pro-lx outer shaft or the jack shaft bracket so I'm awaiting Derrick's reply (Corksport) as to what is supposed to be used with the stub shaft he had machined for me. The good news is the stub is atleast DOUBLE the dia. of the Pro-LX's!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

hey i pmed you about the vj-14 youve got hanging around

let me know
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “Forced Induction”