who would win guestament CIVIC VS MX-3

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

MechaManZero wrote:But Jay Dog. The VJ-23 is a BALL BEARING and COOLANT COOLED turbo. More advanced than the Oil cooled t3/t4 that utilizes a cartridge.
I know it's cooled by coolant. I for some reason thought you had a GTX bp-t. I apolagize. The GT-R engine changes things now. Those old Garretts are junk turbos compared to what the new GT Garrettss are made of. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate the bearings, not neccesarily cool the turbo. Oil will keep the temperature down somewhat, but coolant was used to bring the majority of the temp. down and to add reliability. Some might disagree and say that the extra coolant fittings and passage ways were prone to leaking though. I would always run a water cooled turbo myself.
MechaManZero wrote:Yes it is bigger but it is being spooled on a 1.6 liter engine. The compression is higher BUT with more displacement and a lower compression for safe boost, after I break this sucker in, I can turn the boost up a bit all the way up to 18 psi which the fuel maps are good for that I have heard. This kid wants to do 10 psi so I am thinking of going to 16 psi. Not going to 18 anytime soon. So at the track I will set it at 16 psi and the streets I will set it at 12 psi.
The GTR is a far better engine than ANY 4cyl Honda engine PERIOD!! Think about it, Honda made their torqeless wonder 1.6 for fuel economy for the masses. Mazda built a limited produced, bad-a-- 1.8 for competition use only. I'm sure if you're confident, you will have the upper hand here. I'd put money on it. :twisted:

The T3/T4 is a dinosaur of a turbo. I'm so glad I got rid of mine. The technoligy is a little dated and I'm suprised that many turbo kits for other cars still use these older Garrett designs.
MechaManZero wrote:PS: smaller turbos spool up faster.
C'mon guy, I've been around turbo's looooong enough to know even this.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

OMG lol this same guy that wants to race me is having his work done by a kid that had an integra and put a monster turbo on it that didn't spool till way late and that thing was the lagiest piece I have ever seen. My stock 240sx had a better chance against that thing lol. I pwned a early 2000s 4 cylinder Mitsu Eclipse by like 2 car lengths in my stock 240sx. The kid had a short shifter and a stage 2 clutch. I had everything stock, and that was before my clutch blew a turd (basically somehow the springs came out of the pressure plate and the clutch disk like WTF lol).
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Flinch

lol

Post by Flinch »

its from our best buddy and its a whole GTR front clip strait from Japan the GTR is his dream car he know them in and out im pritty sure he wont get scammed.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

just make sure the inlet and outlet on the compressor side is not clamped and is bolted inlet and outlet flanges.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Hmmmm....you better find out more about your competitions cylinder head and WHAT t3/t4 turbo it is! I've seen t3/to4e's put down over 450WHP and thats gonna be bad news for you if he has one of the t3/to4e's in a 50 or 60 trim compressor side. If he is running a off the shelf t3/to4b then it will be a good race...I know a guy that took a t3/to4b, hogged out the inlet to 4" and stuffed a large to4e compressor wheel in it....450WHP and VERY little lag on a B16 w/ big cams in a hatch back. He pulled 7.20's all day long in the 1/8th mile.

Honestly...I hate Hondas! The GTR engine will take 500WHP for quite some time on stock internals. My advise to you...for a cheap big power setup....

-Megasquirt EMS w/ wideband
-96 lb/hr fuel injectors
-Wahlbro 255 Hi Pressure pump inline with 255pump intank w/ -6AN (3/8") fuel lines and BG EFI diaphram bypass pressure regulator
-Corksport 24x12x4 IC
-2.5" IC pipes
-T3/T60-1 w/ .48 A/R exhaust housing
-3" Exhaust
-Accel 300+ Digital ignition w/ CDI coil and get a brass terminal disty cap
-Clutchnet "Red" Series pressure plate w/ 6-button sprung hub metallic disc

Thats good for the 525ish WHP on a GTR engine at 30psi of boost and the tubo is only $700USD from http://www.cheapturbo.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

My comp has a stock block and just rebuilt stock head with diff head gasket, block gaurds, and ARP headstuds.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

By the way sorry I like the stock turbo man ;P

Also my comp is looking at 10 psi with that so called off the shelf t3/t4 turbo
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

You should have a pretty good race on your hands. He's got the upper hand because of higher compression and I've seen the t3/to4b off the shelf turbos put down between 240-270WHP on 12psi with stock bottom end Honda motors if they are tuned well. Put your money into the biggest Intercooler you can stuff in the car and a megasquirt ECU. Also focus on traction, I believe that will be the final decision maker in your race. My old setup w/ b6t and small VJ-13/14 was making about 220WHP (yes I was overspinning the turbo) and I got SPANKED by my friends Del Sol w/ a LS-VTEC all motor at only 170WHP. He pulled 5 1/2 cars on me in the 60 foot because my car was nothing but tire smoke until 3rd gear (anything under 55mph then). By the 1/4 mile mark he only had a fender and I flew by him but it was to late. Traction is the biggest advantage and will haunt those who aren't aware how much it really matters![/list]
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Here anything good about puttinga an LSD in a protege tranny?
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Yes and no....

It isn't a straight forward swap as you'll need a V6 driverside axle and a custom passenger side axle. Contact Derrick Ambrose @ http://www.corksport.com

Other than that it is a good thing! The OEM Pro-LX spider gears don't like big HP and tend to break at around 300 lb/ft of torque with stock recommended fluids (ie they suck at high stress levels so heat is generated). By installing a LSD you eliminate this problem and then the case and shafts become the next problem if to much heat is generated.

Put a Kaaz LDS in it (from MS Protege) and use Lucas 80w90 Heavy Duty Trans Fluid w/ 1 bottle of Lucas Trans Fix.

My stock Pro-LX trans handled around 400WHP for over 10,000 miles on my car with just the Lucas fluids! The torque from my car was estimated at around 360-380 lb/ft. I know for a FACT it was WAY over 320lb/ft as it SMOKED the ACT clutch setup up I had in it at first. We pulled the clutch out and it was fine...I was just making that much power to the ground! Even with the 6-puck solid hub ACT setup it was even pushing its limits and it was rated at 365lb/ft. of torque capacity. Heat kills transmissions...both automatic and manual!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Nice info man thanx. This might be my next step before putting in my motor and tranny. I sold my 240sx so I have some extra cash $$$$$
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger

Return to “Forced Induction”