Tunes67 - 92 MX-3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Copy away.. I dont care.. just know that a normal battery wont fit there at all. You have to get one of these dry cell batteries. Buying them local will get spendy. Check E-bay.

Quick update.. Got my motor mount in from canada ;) Thanks again Joe :D Got it cleaned and painted. I also got my triple gauge pillar pod ordered along with a Vacuum gauge that will match my oil pressure and water temp gauges. Those should be fun to install. I will do a write up on them since there seems to be a bit of wondering how stuff works.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Great job on the batt idea Tunes.
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'll give credit where credit is due.. the battery location was my friends idea ;) I just happened to benefit from it :D

Anyway.. here is a pic of my most recent aquistion for the GS.. my work hasnt stopped here yet.. a lot left to do.. just waiting on the lamo lawyers to be able to do it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well the next round of toys arrived today..

Slowly but surely she is coming together.. Man I cant wait to drive this car LOL
Last edited by Tunes67 on September 21st, 2007, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well the planets aligned properly last week and I managed to get a bit more stuff done.. so I thought I should update this log.

Headers & Exaust finished - I bolted up the Y pipe to the collectors and my buddy welded the flange onto the cat.. bolted it up and then joined the pipe after the cat. This exaust will eventually need to be replaced from behind the cat all the way back.. its obviously been hacked up numerous times. But for now it will be fine.

New coolant lines installed on the oil cooler.. previous lines were very soft and I felt they could rupture at anytime.. cheap insurance. Also fabricated a heat shield for the coolant lines out of a beer can.. since one of the header pipes is only a couple inches away. Figured a little reflector might help out there.

Finished install of the #4 tranny mount (motor mount) - I had it in the car.. but not fully bolted in place.

Finished install of Oil "T" and installed OEM oil pressure sending unit as well as installed the copper tubing for my Autometer Oil pressure gauge. Ran the tubing to the firewall.. will need to use a coupler and run the remaining tubing into the cockpit.

A Big KUDOS to my buddy Mike for figuring out a snazzy way to avoid drilling and tapping a location for my water temp sensor for my Autometer Coolant temp gauge. Long story short.. by using some pipe fittings.. we spliced into the heater core input hose and screwed the sensor in line.. Not unlike some of those "Power Flush" kits you see on the market for flushing your coolant system. I'll get a pic of this contraption later on and post it.. definately a nifty solution.

Battery relocation finally finished and the car has power. All rear panels are reinstalled and the car is waiting for seats now. All future CarPC cables have been run from front to rear.

New Thermostat & seal installed

Radiator installed and hoses connected - just need to buy my antifreeze now. I did remove the ATX fluid lines and plugged the holes before installing the radiator. Of a note.. when test fitting the radiator.. those tranny lines interfered with the headers... Anyone running headers on a ATX car will definately have to reroute those tranny lines so that the headers dont boil the tranny fluid in the lines.

This log will be getting updated a LOT more frequently now that the temps outdoors are starting to warm up.. I am hoping to have the car in for paint before the summer is over :)

Tunes67
Last edited by Tunes67 on April 2nd, 2007, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Why not use the tranny cooler as an extra engine oil cooler..... your engine might be the coolest... literally....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I thought about that.. and if I was going to do any sort of racing.. I would.. But this is gonna be a mildly hopped up daily driver.. the extra time & expense to plumb in the external oil cooler really isnt worth it to me. Now if anyone were auto Xing or if they had any kind of turbo.. would definately be worth doing :)

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well we got a lot done on her today.. installed the new front fender and got the drivers door swapped. We connected the power briefly to check things out and all worked great. Got the gaugepod mounted and the tubes & wiring all run through to the engine bay. That pod install was a bit annoying.. but we figured it out.. looks decent as you can see in the pic below. I still need to center the gauges but thats no big deal and I want to do that when I am actually sitting in the drivers seat for best visibility. I will still need to bleed the oil pressure tubing as well to get all the air bubbles out. Anyway.. here is a pic of the gauge pod installed and a pic showing the new fender and door.

I am really glad to see this progress.. its been a long time coming and just seeing it start to look like a car again is soo freakin cool LOL

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A few more toys have arrived.. including my Pioneer DVD Head Unit, my Power inverter, Red Rear Mudguards and my remote battery terminals. With the help of my friends Mill and my laser at work.. I put together this power distribution block. It will be mounted where the old battery tray was more or less. Here are a few pics of it..

I will have the main power cable feed into the back side of the power distributor.. then split to 4 leads.. Main Power from the alternator, Starter, Wiring harnes (fuse block) and the 4th lead will connect to the Positive terminal in the pics.

Tunes67

Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

VERY nice job!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

More stuff done.. Got the axles back in.. wheels back on.. hood back on.. and a bunch of other little stuff.. anyway.. here is a current pic.. she needs a wash badly and a good buff & wax job.. but she is looking like a car again :)

Tunes67

verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Hehe, cool with 3 MX-3's in the driveway! :2thumbsup:
'92 GS
My worklog
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well another weekend and another batch of finished projects. So where to start updating..

Finished my CAI. (I'll post pics in a day or two)
Got the fuel lines reconnected
Clutch Hydraulic line routed and bled
Wiring harness is attached and mounted to the firewall correctly
All wiring harness and vacuum connections have been done.
Plug wires reinstalled & firing order checked
Got the firewall grommet installed and all the custom wiring & gauge works fed through. This is mentioned simply cause it was a major PITA and took me an hour to do by itself.
Finished wiring up the clutch safety interlock switch to the plug in the engine bay (I'll post pics of this as well)
ECU remounted & plugged in.
Heater Core lines tapped and reconnected (pics of this to come as well since its part of the custom water temp gauge setup)
Exaust completed - finished but temporary.. will get a new cat back system after the car is painted and on the road.
Oil Change done, new oil filter, transaxle filled with 75W-90W Royal Purple gear oil.

Engine bay projects left:

Custom power wiring - waiting on a custom mount bracket to attach the power distribution block to the drivers side strut tower (pics when finished of course)

Reverse lights wiring - Hope this one turns out to be easier than I fear it will be LOL

Still need to remove the insulation blanket from my parts car and install it into this car.

Need to buy antifreeze and refill the coolant.

I'll post updated pics later this week.

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok as promised.. here are some pics of the CAI job and a pic of how I rigged up a place for my water temp sensor (for the Autometer gauge). So first the CAI pics..

And here is a pic of the water temp sensor.. its mounted into a custom made T fitting design which we tapped into one of the heater core hoses. The hose flowing TO the heater core. This should give the most accurate temp readings we can get without drilling the head or the block. Yes I could have taken out one of the other temp sensors and used its location for this sensor.. but then I wouldnt have had the stock gauge working as well and I wanted both so that I could tell if one was having a malfuntion.

I'll see if I can get a pic of this installed as well.. but its in a location thats hard to see.

Tunes67

verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Looking very nice Tunes! I too want a nice-looking CAI!
'92 GS
My worklog

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”