Need help determining a klze, from klde... A.S.A.P

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Actually, Ive seen some specs of KLZEs having 190, Im sure 200 HP is a rounded number.
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

ikarus1 wrote:
MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:There are 3 types of ZE's out there...ranging from 180-210hp
One is 180-5, 190-5,200-210. The high end KL-ZE has a long straight neck. the mids tend to have the millenia bent or short straight neck, and the low end is bent as well....not too sure on any identify marks on intake. The straight necks usually have 15 less hp. Everyone talks about the jap engines and the pipe exiting the exhaust manifold and necks and codes but.........The true best way to dicifer is just to take a few minutes and open the front cam cover and look at the cam. rotate the motor if needed until you see a code on the cam shaft. KL3 or KL1.....This is your first clue to be true!!!!!
:roll: Where did you get this info from?

All ZE's are 200HP at the crank, so I am not sure where you got your three power ratings....do a search and you'll find that to be the case.
the KL31 cammed engines make the power at higher RPM IIRC. There are ZE's with KL01 cams btw, but they are still rated 200HP....

Also, Millenias have KL31 heads so it could be a Millenia engine if it has the KL31 heads, KL101 cams and the curve neck intake....but 9.2:1 compression. Only way to tell is take the head off and look at the pistons or a bore-scope - both too much trouble IMO. That's why I am buying a straight-neck and swapping manifolds.

Otherwise, the way to tell if an engine is a true KLZE is if it has the straight neck intake, KL31 heads and a KL68 stamp on the TB.

I myself, did not believe this either when speaking to a mazda tech guy...This was at the begining of my search for the ZE going back 6 years ago. I thought he just had one of those rumours but when I further researched this through mazda japan, I was sent tech info sheets that proved to be true. I know that your going to ask me for this data but this was about 5 computers ago and I had a friend at the time who communicated and translated the info..... and that info was lost a while ago...but I can only express the importance to you that NOT to rely on straight neck intakes. There are loads of 2.5s out there that are almost carbon copies of KLZE's but are in the 160hp range. Trust me...I looked for my ZE for 3 years with many false leads by the supplier. You must confirm that it is a true j-spec. I even had waited 2 months for a j-spec motor that wasn't j-spec :shock: and yes I saw it pulled and unloaded from the container! Remember that just because a car is rated 200hp doesn't always mean that it is going to be set up for that. I have even caught word from Quebec,Canada that there was a shop that had made an extensive mod in the late 90's with a j-spec ecu and were able to have the motor push between 210-15hp but when I tried to contact them they had moved and the whole French language barrier stopped my search.
I not saying you have to take my word on the info I have stated but there is alot info out there and I have to believe that all the ZE couldn't possibly be set up to run at just 200hp throughout the different vehicle types that are equipt with KLZE's. Example: My ZE came with a straight neck intake manifold and I searched out a bent neck from a millenia for a bolt on application. I then heard that the straight neck would create up to a 15hp gain...now I must admit that I did not dyno to confirm, but a year later, I fit the straight neck on with slight mods to create the fit and I will tell you that it was like a whole new engine and there must have been 15hp given out. But hey, I could just be one of false advertisments but if =you call right now, we'll double your order for free :lol:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

The 160HP and 170Hp motors are KF-Zes, they are 2.0L V6's.
MX3 GSR for dummies

This would confirm the 180 if a bent neck intake is used

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

160 for straight neck KFZEs with KF01 cams.. (with round runners)

170 for the curved neck with KL31 cams in a Lantis type R (square runners)

184 I believe on a millenia 2.5L (USDM)
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

one more question, how much power would a kl31-101 (klze) make with a stock k8 intake manifold and stock ecu? whats the estimate? I'm only curious!
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

dood where the hell did you read this info?

I am in the process of writing a K-series FAQ that answers everything anyone would want to know about these engines & in my research the curved neck VS the straight-neck KLZE has the same power, the only diff is the RPM at which the torque is delivered is 4800 instead of 5500 on the curved neck variant.

I don't know of any other KLZE variants out there. THere might be a newer variant with coil pack ignition & solid lifters that is super-rare but most of the cars which came with KLZE's were discontnued after 97 or 98. Most KL's sold after then were in the United States in the 626 and Millenia.

And if ur confusing the millenia KLDE with the KLZE its probably b/c the heads are KL31-1A1 / 101's just like the klze. IT has the square ports but not the 10:1 compression & it has less agressive cams. Rated at 170hp, later models rated as much as 180
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Wait, the DE can have KL31-1A1 / 101 on the heads too? Then how can you tell a ZE from a DE other than compression test or looking at the piston heads?
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Mad_Medeiros wrote:one more question, how much power would a kl31-101 (klze) make with a stock k8 intake manifold and stock ecu? whats the estimate? I'm only curious!
It will make s--- power, maybe 145ish to the wheels. When I had the combo on my car I hated it. Since then I got a kl31 ecu and proper intake manifold, and now it runs awesome.
Bolverk wrote:Wait, the DE can have KL31-1A1 / 101 on the heads too? Then how can you tell a ZE from a DE other than compression test or looking at the piston heads?
pop open the front valve cover and look at the cams
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

relisys_3200 wrote:
Bolverk wrote:Wait, the DE can have KL31-1A1 / 101 on the heads too? Then how can you tell a ZE from a DE other than compression test or looking at the piston heads?
pop open the front valve cover and look at the cams
Nope not always. The ZE can have KL01 cams as well. Only recourse here would be a compression check or a borescope, or you could pull the head off :shock: and check for the 10:1 pistons. Personally I am staying away from all curve neck engines unless I pull a DE out of a millenia or I pay $300 for a supposedly curve neck ZE :)
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Gro Harlem wrote:dood where the hell did you read this info?

I am in the process of writing a K-series FAQ that answers everything anyone would want to know about these engines & in my research the curved neck VS the straight-neck KLZE has the same power, the only diff is the RPM at which the torque is delivered is 4800 instead of 5500 on the curved neck variant.
Agreed with Gro on this one
dyno has proven the same SOOO many times AND
people dynoed the straight neck manifold over curve neck and it dyno pretty much the same, so both intake flows the same +- 2hp
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MX3 GSR for dummies

I can admit :oops: that I have gone on word of mouth about the curve neck differences. Differences obviously occure with different cams. We know that different cams do occure with the KLZE. With sayig this...I highly recommend narrowing your search for a KLZE by searching for the straight neck. They are far more redily available since us lazy mx-3 owners just want an easy KLZE swap!!! As for knowing if it is a true KLZE, who cares..as long as your in the same power range, it is a hell of a lot better than the 1.8 GS (Great Sewing machine) V6!!!!! :2thumbsup: ZOOM ZOOM.... :driver:

K-North

Post by K-North »

hey all now im curiosu from mad mederiosu point of view.. im just wondenrig if u have a stock 1.8 IM on a KLZE with the kl 36 ecu around how much HP would be at the crank
hey all im a new 92 mx3 gs owner... had a permance clutch but he blew the head gaskets when i bought it.. and theres a lower kit and exaust system.. so i guess i got a okay deal.. but damn wait.. just Dropped in a KLZE engine from japan
MX3 GSR for dummies

K-North wrote:hey all now im curiosu from mad mederiosu point of view.. im just wondenrig if u have a stock 1.8 IM on a KLZE with the kl 36 ecu around how much HP would be at the crank
In my opinion this would be a bad application and I have no idea what you would get...it would be how much you would be loosing in HP, and fuel. The KL36 is programmed on the basis of a KLZE TB, IM-(Vac Set-up),JE50, and Injectors. Yes you would have the JE50 but everything else would be different. Of course I have never tried this set-up but I do know that my car ran bad enough with a K8 ecu,IM, and TB. Ran better with a K8 evu, TB, and KLZE IM. I am just recieving my KL31 ecu this week and I am hoping for a continue of better performance but know that it will not be complete without the KLZE TB. You need an ecu that is commmunicating well with the components! :rant2:

93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Ok, this is going to sound stupid but I haven't been too big on mazdas until recently when I purchased my Mazda 6.

I found a guy, well a friend of a friend. Who has a 1994 MX-6 with a..I don't know what the hell happened to the rear, looks like 100K lbs was dropped on it or something but the back half is all beyond flat.

Anywho getting to the point. The Motor is a KL-101 = KLDE = 160 Hp right ?

The motor has 120K on it well, says the odometer. It's nt too dirty, lot of dust from sitting but the motor seems in failry good shape and I am wondering, Should I get the ECU out of this car as well ? Or because of the rear damage, do you think it may have electrically affected the ECU ?

I'm getting the motor delivered for 250.00 so I think I should jump on the motor in any case. He also has a set up pulled from some car but he said the exhaust manifolds would fit the KL-101 in the mx-3 and they are turbo manifolds. He's got everything from turbo unit down to oil like for $175.00.

Heres where the problem comes in, I unsterstand a lot of what people say about this and that but I don't want to do a stand alone or 'piggyback' or whatever in my car because i'd like for it to somewhat to pass emissions.

Also, If the ECU is fine, Will the 1994 MX-6 ECU fit directly into the 1993 MX-3's wiring system ?

Can I hook this KLDE motor up with the same ECU and run turbo on it without any modifications ? Or am I looking to spend a s--- load of money ?

Any help would be great guys, I don't really want to break my bank on this but I 'think' I found an awsome deal.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”